Did someone influence you ?

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister n her husband, lived in Rockford Ill at one time. I loved listening to the stories of detecting. They had whites coinmasters from the 70's. They would bring out bunches of 3 pound coffee cans full of coins, jewelry, and oddities. They would light up every time the stories started. They kept thier md's in a lighted gun cabinet in thier home. They are both passed on now, but the fun still continues. I started in the 80's with a whites 6000 d series 2, now I have a dfx. I hope that I might be able to influence others as I once was. It is a great hobbie to be shared. HH

Yes, I was influenced by a man I used to work with named Harry. Harry would bring his finds, dectectors, and magazines to work and if it was a slow night, he would tell us about the finds, doo dads, and the jewelry. He had a way of telling you how he found everything, and it made you feel you were there with him.

My Mom. she use to give me a magnet & send me out to the driveway when I got to be to much. she has no idea the monster she created.

My grandmother in the late 60's

She used to hunt Florida's beaches in the winters, and lend me a detector in the summers
when she would Migrate back up to PA.
She also found a cache beside her house up here that used to belong to either my mom or one of
my aunts from when they were children.

My oldest brother use to take me arrowhead hunting when I was a kid. He had old metal detectors too. That was an influence, but nothing got me started like a local story I found while doing genealogy research in my library. I've been infected with cache fever ever since.

Had no body influence me........ I did not know that anybody around even did it never saw any one do it...... But i saw a add from Kellyco.. and went through there catalog saw a garrett i liked ................. Sent for it and started hunting..... It was not like today were every one wants some one to tell them how to detect how to set the detector up......What should i buy...... We were men back then and we bought a detector read the manual ....... And went hunting...........No one want's to man up these days .... "WIMPS"...........

My dad influenced me. He told me all about the indians around central Texas and then he took me arrowhead hunting. We were always successful. I graduated to gold and silver on Padre Island before the National Seashore and before I die I hope to return there and find the half full bucket of coins I buried because it was too heavy to carry, too far back to the truck and I was only 10-11 years old. I marked the spot, but couldn't find it again. Didn't matter, we always found coins in certain areas. J. Frank Dobie influenced me when I got to college and I have casually hunted all my life.

Last edited:
Chisos said:
My dad influenced me. He told me all about the indians around central Texas and then he took me arrowhead hunting. We were always successful. I graduated to gold and silver on Padre Island before the National Seashore and before I die I hope to return there and find the half full bucket of coins I buried because it was too heavy to carry, too far back to the truck and I was only 10-11 years old. I marked the spot, but couldn't find it again. Didn't matter, we always found coins in certain areas. J. Frank Dobie influenced me when I got to college and I have casually hunted all my life.

Where did u bury them I live in Houston could make a trip lol

My grandfather. I grew up fishing on the Illinois river and many times when the fish weren't biting he would pull the boat over to one of the many old dump sites he knew and we'd hunt for bottles. He had an old Radio Shack detector that we'd bring along sometimes and we found a few nice old coins. I was pretty much hooked for life at that point.

My great-great Uncle Hiram McLain. Probably knew more about southwest Oklahoma and the nooks and crannies of the Wichitas than any man alive. But he never shared much about it. I tried, but I never even covered 1/10th of the country he did or got even close to his familiarity with it. He would be around and work for a while then disappear off into the mountains. His niece, my great-grandma told me some of his stories but I suspect he only told her highly edited versions. He never found the Cave With the Iron Door, or Bob Herron's lost loot on Flattop Mountain, or any of the James' boys stashes in the Wichitas. Huntin for it was the thing anyway. He would be tickled to see a thing on the computer like TreasureNet, but would probably spend all his time in the treasure signs and symbols forum.

Yes, the #%!# that broke into my house and stole all my rings and jewelry. I got into the hobby to find some replacements.

Back in the early 80s, my wifes niece got a cheap one for xmass. I was in the hard helping her play with it and knowing nothing of what we were doing really. We found some coins with it. A few months later I bought a Whites 5000D. Been hooked ever since.

My father had a show case of old bottles he dug in the 60s and my mother could eyeball a CW minnie or a button fairly easy. We grew up in Alabama in a coastal area that had a ton of history.
My father bought an old fisher back in the60s and went to the battle site (now a park) and said everywhere he moved it were minnie balls that he just left on the ground.. He was looking for a uniform item or a coin.
Had the bug since I was a kid.

Reading history books influenced me,plus having a very old ancestry in this country,wasnt actually a country yet back then:laughing9:.Reading leads you on and to many different paths,one path leads to another.

Always had a propensity toward finding lost treasure. Movies at a young age usually influenced me to pursue it. I guess a desire to tell a story or learn some history also inspires me to find an excuse to look for something. The metal detecting world came to me one day, several years ago, by the advent of Walmart believe it or not. They had detectors there for a Christmas season and I would look at them each time I left the store. Each time, the curiosity got worse and unrelenting. Eventually, I bought one. I used it for maybe a few minutes and remember finding a nail or two, but as the grass had been wet and me failing to read any instructions, the machine made a funny noise and was ruined. :( However, several years later a friend's mother was getting rid of her's for a good price, so I revisited my curiosity again. This time, I became acquainted with my new, nicer machine. That was in March of 2010. Often, I think to myself, I wish I had been doing this since I was a kid, because imagine how many cool stories I would have had to share. :)

mo dirt diggin said:
My sister n her husband, lived in Rockford Ill at one time. I loved listening to the stories of detecting. They had whites coinmasters from the 70's. They would bring out bunches of 3 pound coffee cans full of coins, jewelry, and oddities. They would light up every time the stories started. They kept thier md's in a lighted gun cabinet in thier home. They are both passed on now, but the fun still continues. I started in the 80's with a whites 6000 d series 2, now I have a dfx. I hope that I might be able to influence others as I once was. It is a great hobbie to be shared. HH

Hi,i influenced myself mostly.At about the age of 11 i seen a man and boy at my school yard coin hunting, and from that point and Treasure Search magazines i used to get at the drug store, and it was on.48 now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back