Did Indians mark arrowheads with a circular 4?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously, what is this? Can't determine metal. Non reactive with both muriatic acid and nitric acid. Could be a car part?

IMG_1697.JPGIMG_1698.JPG

Sorry but that isn't an arrowhead.I have never seen one with markings.

Sent from an out house in the Osage hill

Upvote 0
Probably broken metal from a fuel pump or something of the like, I have seen items marked like that but can't remember what they were.Pretty sure it was on my old Datsun.

Upvote 0
It's a casting mark, It's cast aluminium or some mix. Like back of the boat, I can't remember why they had that mark in the casting. It identified the line, batch,times, or combination of, for the plant that made it. I think?

Not sure what acid does to aluminium , but I do know sometimes you have to file through the oxide layer on some stuff. I think the oxide is tougher and puts a kind of a protective coating on. or something. Don't remember.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a casting mark, It's cast aluminium or some mix. Like back of the boat, I can't remember why they had that mark in the casting. It identified the line, batch,times, or combination of, for the plant that made it. I think?

Not sure what acid does to aluminium , but I do know sometimes you have to file through the oxide layer on some stuff. I think the oxide is tougher and puts a kind of a protective coating on. or something. Don't remember.

I'd think with a user name like yours you'd know what acid does to anything!!! (LOL)

Upvote 0
I think it is part of the end of what we call a Ranger Belt. Belt tip that is clued or tacked on. Available in Al, Fe, and Ag, Au. Prices can run into the thousands. That came with the belt and is cheaper metal. Just a guess...

Upvote 0
If that's a penny sized object for reference....It almost looks like a private counter stamp. Some form of good for.... 4 units of trade. It's size is right and the stamp could be a local land owner of the period or someone with enuff pull to warrant their own form of money. It was quite common back then as people didn't trust the new paper money and/or the government. Haha... Go figure... Just throwin it out there as it has the possibility of being something really cool. Made of metal that's not easily reproduced. Probably an amalgam and lead mix to strengthen it up. I'll dig out some books from storage and try to match the mark. But I'm a dreamer too so don't hold your breath. If anything is even similar I'll post it for you. Potential is everywhere... ��

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd think with a user name like yours you'd know what acid does to anything!!! (LOL)

Don't let the name fool ya! When I joined TnetI had to think of something Gold related and everything I put in was taken. Then when I looked around I saw the acid and picked Nitric. It went through for a name! :laughing7:
I do know a little, but I think Crispin may have passed me up a while back. My experience was basically, gold and silver testing. Now, I can tell you what not to do with the stuff! :laughing7:
Don't get it in or on your..Nose,eyes,skin, clothes.Don't seal the container shut with metal in it. Do not smell fumes that are reacting or.....Just don't smell fumes at all! I do know stuff like that from experience!:laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If that's a penny sized object for reference....It almost looks like a private counter stamp. Some form of good for.... 4 units of trade. It's size is right and the stamp could be a local land owner of the period or someone with enuff pull to warrant their own form of money. It was quite common back then as people didn't trust the new paper money and/or the government. Haha... Go figure... Just throwin it out there as it has the possibility of being something really cool. Made of metal that's not easily reproduced. Probably an amalgam and lead mix to strengthen it up. I'll dig out some books from storage and try to match the mark. But I'm a dreamer too so don't hold your breath. If anything is even similar I'll post it for you. Potential is everywhere... ��

You're reading way too much into it, it is a piece of junk. It is a manufacturers date stamp likely from a broken auto or tractor part as others have said

Upvote 0
Maybe natives originated lot trace-ability stamps in their molding process's?

Seriously though ,context would help.
If it were a marine location site recovery was from it could be part of a prop, or a piece off the lower unit ,or a cavitation plate fin higher up with the code on bottom so not to be viewed easily..

An impeller or blade comes to mind too ,but hard telling...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back