Did i just dig an early 18th century trade axe

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the early early 18th century french site after work today and dug 2 musket balls and a possible brass sword hand grip fragment.
See link for id help.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-sword-fragment-intermission-2-continued.html

Had to take a break for a few and went back for 2 more hours. Ended up digging a rusted axe head.
Was wondering if this could be a trade axe. I knocked some rust off, but will prob have to do electro on it.
Its 6 inches long, but i think part of the blade has rusted away.
Its definitely an axe.... And it was found at a spot where ive dug many early 18th century french relics.

Attachments

• PA220002.JPG
    PA220002.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 91
  • PA220001.JPG
    PA220001.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 90
  • PA220003.JPG
    PA220003.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 92
  • PA220004.JPG
    PA220004.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 80
  • PA220006.JPG
    PA220006.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 79
  • PA220007.JPG
    PA220007.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
It looks like one to me. I am not sure on the date though, depending where you are it either be 1700's or 1800's. According to this website, yours looks like an 1800's one. I assume some people made them differently in the 1700's though. Don't try to remove any rust right now, as you may end up ruining the fragile axe. Regular axes from that time look much different. There are tons of varying designs, and when I click on an axe that looks like yours on google, in the description it says Trade Axe.

Considering that you found it at an 18th century french site, I would guess it was dropped by french fur traders in the 1700's.

Awesome find! I always wanted to find one of those.

axediagram.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Many of the finds from this site date beginning of the 1700s.
I guess i will have to clean it up more to get a positive id.
i attached an image i found online, and i believe mine is similar to the one in the far left of the photo.
One end is for cutting, and the other end could be used for hammering/flattening.

Attachments

• 1819th_century_tomahawk__hammer_poll__belt_axe__trade_axe_5_lgw.jpg
    1819th_century_tomahawk__hammer_poll__belt_axe__trade_axe_5_lgw.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Coinman.

Thanks Matt. This site has been the best. Its hard to give up on it.
Not many good signals left. Having to dig deep faint tones that turn out to be a bust most times.
Im sure there is more there, just have to work hard for it.
Just goes to show you have to dig it all, and if you do so, you will be rewarded.
BTW thanks for the ID help on some of my earlier finds from this site.

Upvote 0
It could be a pipe tomahawk. Check the poll end, that might not be a hammer, if it's hollow they would have smoked tobacco in it.

B1.jpg

Upvote 0
It could be a pipe tomahawk. Check the poll end, that might not be a hammer, if it's hollow they would have smoked tobacco in it.
Thanks Bosn. I saw a few of those online. Mine is so rusted up right now, it would be hard to tell, but it would be super cool if it were.

Upvote 0
Any way I could get some more pics ?

all angles... the "rear" closeup... opening as well.

Soak in water for 10 mins then rinse / spray good... clean out all dirt...
then dry with towel then in sun thoroughly IF you want better chance at ID.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back