Did everyone play a harmonica in the 1800s ?

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm almost certain that almost every homesteader in Illinois played or at least attempted to play the harmonica! Went for a short 2 hour hunt just up the road on a site I hit every other year and I did find another crusty large cent, but at least I can make out a date on it 1848 . Moved a few foundation stones out of the field for the farmer also!
1000002250.jpg
1000002253.jpg

Upvote 6
I played a harmonica in the 1970"s when I was a kid and all of my friends did too! So it was still going strong then but I haven't heard the sound of one since then, sadly. I have found a lot of reeds and pieces too, must have been a way to pass the time and keep the kids/family entertained all over the country.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain that almost every homesteader in Illinois played or at least attempted to play the harmonica! Went for a short 2 hour hunt just up the road on a site I hit every other year and I did find another crusty large cent, but at least I can make out a date on it 1848 . Moved a few foundation stones out of the field for the farmer also!
View attachment 2175926View attachment 2175927
Still a good showing for the day.
The reeds sure sound good.
Getting one of the oler none brass ones is hard, they're usually just pieces.

View attachment 2175926View attachment 2175927
I think every gold prospector here did in the 1800s. Apart from buttons harmonica bits n pieces are the next most common find.
I have three theories why so many bits and pieces found.
1 they must have been poorly made and fell to bits.
2 Were easy to carry so people got them for their travels but couldn't play them like they expected too so threw them away.
3 Their digger mates got sick n tired of hearing them play the same tune each night they took them off them and threw them into the bush.
Either way, I think on the goldfields a travelling harmonica salesman would have made a fortune. 😂

Congrats on the Large Cent and other finds !

And yes, I couldn't count how many Harmonica Reeds I've found around old home sites !

I've found a few pcs as well as concertina reeds. They both ring up sooo nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back