Department of Homeland Security Seeks Gun Detecting Drones

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Department of Homeland Security Seeks Gun Detecting Drones

The Department of Homeland Security is testing out a batch of new sensors for their Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (SUAS), including one sensor that would offer the ability to determine if an individual is armed with weapons or not.

Droneby Derrick Broze
Intellihub.com
April 11, 2013

Today The Department of Homeland Security announced that:

“DHS’s Science and Technology Directorate’s (S&T) Borders and Maritime Security Division’s Robotic Aircraft for Public Safety (RAPS) testing program is evaluating numerous SUA and sensor systems to identify possible applications for first responders, including search-and-rescue scenarios, response to radiological and chemical incidents and fire response and mapping. In addition, the testing will help to determine whether SUAs are suitable for use by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and US Coast Guard to provide lower altitude, quick response situational awareness in tactical situations.

SUAS sensor platforms are being tested for use by “first responder and homeland security operational communities” that “can distinguish between unarmed and armed (exposed) personnel,” as well as conducting detection, surveillance, tracking and laser designation of targets of interest at stand-off ranges, according to the RAPS Test Plan obtained by Homeland Security Today. “

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, or drones, have become a widespread phenomenon. Widely used in war zones such as Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan for some time now, the Obama Administration has made use of the vehicles a mainstay in the Obama arsenal. The President even expanded the drone war into Somalia, Yemen, and Libya.

The drones are not perfect in their execution however. Thousands of innocent men, women, and children have lost their lives to the Obama drone program. Senator Lindsey Graham recently said he believes the total number of innocent lives lost is near 4,700.

Despite the imperfections drones have started to become a regular topic in discussions of the American “Homeland”. In 2011 Congress ordered the Federal Aviation Authority to clear airspace for up to 20,000 drones over American skies. Congress expects to have this done within the next ten years.

Since that decision police departments, universities and private corporations have begun investing millions into the technology. The Electronic Privacy Information Center has reported that at least 88 American cities have applied for the use of drones. With a growing number interest in drones comes an interest in modifying and specializing the technology.

In 2009 the Houston Police Department conducted a secret test of a drone. When word spread about the test HPD rushed to hold a press conference. When questioned on the ways the tool would be used and whether cars could be ticketed from the sky by a drone, HPD responded, “We’re not leaving anything off the table.” Authorities also speculated about adding tazers, and other “non-lethal” weapons to the flying machines.

Homeland Security Today continues:

“But there’s nothing nefarious about having these sensor capabilities on SUAs for the needs of law enforcement and other first responders, said a RAPS program official, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the program publicly. DHS’s chief privacy official concluded that the testing program posed no privacy issues in the Nov. 16 Privacy Impact Assessment for the RAPS Project. “

How much weight should we give this anonymous source given the militarization of the police, the invasion of privacy with the ever growing wire tapping program, routine spying on citizens via the internet, as well as the IRS’ recent statement that they do not need a warrant to read your email? Are we really to believe our privacy will be respected?

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles were once only seen above the desert skies of far off war zones. As investors our millions into drones we are beginning to see a number of ways this can be used. For spying, for tracking, or for murder. If the ruling class is spending small fortunes to create a drone army for domestic surveillance, and identifying armed individuals, what are you doing?

Technology, like any tool, is only as good as the people using it. The current administration and both parties have made it clear that drones are a part of their agenda. If the people of this nation decide to stand up and fight locally we may see the drones halted at the local level, much like it was done recently in Seattle by concerned citizens. Start an effort in your community to raise awareness on drones and to halt their spread.

Beyond action at the community level, I believe it is best to invest in your own drones. If the corporations, police, universities, and government are going to have the toys, why not us? Let’s began using drones for cop watching. Let’s create activist drones that can help keep each other safe in tense situations. How about drones that can give you an aerial view of your new Victory Garden? What ever use you decide, it makes sense to get into the game now, before it becomes illegal.

Sources:

^New Police Drone Near Houston Could Carry Weapons | News - Home
^CISPA Cyber Security Bill Moves Forward, IRS Says no Warrant Needed for Email Access - | Intellihub.com
^Homeland Security Today: EXCLUSIVE: DHS Small Drone Test Plan Calls for Evaluating Sensors for 'First Responder, HS Operational Communities'

Where's the informative part about 2nd amendment protection? :censored:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dano, stop the mocking....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RJC, you're just full of good news. I was out looking at shotguns today. I'm thinking Drone hunting will be a lot of fun. Scarecrow in the field with an old iron weapon, me in a blind, maybe a game caller that sounds like someone either passing gas or bad mouthing the President to fool the Drone. Wonder what the limit per day would be? Would I need a hunting license? This could be a whole new industry here in Paradise...

Heres your permit austin lol

images.jpeg

Dano, stop the mocking....

Wish you wouldn't censor things...forgot what i said now! Can't remember mocking this, but then i've given up on trying to figure out the "mindset" here sometimes. I think the thread mocks itself with it's last childish paragraph..but that's me. :dontknow:

RJC, you're just full of good news. I was out looking at shotguns today. I'm thinking Drone hunting will be a lot of fun. Scarecrow in the field with an old iron weapon, me in a blind, maybe a game caller that sounds like someone either passing gas or bad mouthing the President to fool the Drone. Wonder what the limit per day would be? Would I need a hunting license? This could be a whole new industry here in Paradise...

Are you sure you'll be able to handle the worldwide fame when you become the first man ever to "take out" a drone from 15,000ft with a shotgun?

Dangerous too. Kinda like duck hunting...when the ducks are using .50cal rifles and hellfire missiles!

Wish you wouldn't censor things...forgot what i said now! Can't remember mocking this, but then i've given up on trying to figure out the "mindset" here sometimes. I think the thread mocks itself with it's last childish paragraph..but that's me. :dontknow:

Not very smart to mock thread right after moderator asks you to stop.

Not very smart to mock thread right after moderator asks you to stop.

You have to remember who and what youre dealing with there TH.:laughing9:

What's next then - Drone Wars?

I'm gonna shoot down the Sheriff's drones with my own squadron of them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back