Decorative Something

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
I found this while hunting an old homesite this afternoon. It's got a copper or brass back with a thick rounded piece of glass on the front. Set under the glass is an image. The image has an eye in the middle and what appear to be 3 links of chain at the bottom. Above the eye is I.O.O.F. It has a wreath around this center design. I couldn't get the pics to come out real well with the glass being scratched and chipped.

I threw in a merc I found at the same site for size reference.

Attachments

• 10032007 (3).JPG
    10032007 (3).JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 10032007 (2).JPG
    10032007 (2).JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 10032007 (4).JPG
    10032007 (4).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 287
Exactly what it is I have no idea... but its certainly related to the Odd Fellows (Independent Order of Odd Fellows, or IOOF). The "all seeing eye" and links of chain are found on many of their adornments.

Upvote 0
nhbenz, Thanks for the info. I ebayed Odd Fellows but didn't find any matches. I did notice that several items also contained the eye and the chain links. I'll keep researching. Researching finds is half the fun to me. ;D

Upvote 0
lucky1777 said:
Looks like a bridle rosette???

yeap, that was my first thought, great minds think like, plus that fellow who sometimes id's things on here, think his name is pkb or something ;)

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
that fellow who sometimes id's things on here, think his name is pkb or something ;)

Got it on the second guess: "Or Something." :D

Here's a c. 1900 Independent Order of Odd Fellows celluloid button displaying the same design:

I. O. O. F. / [all-seeing eye] / [three links of chain]

a0a8_1.JPG

On some versions, within the links are the initials F. L. T., which stand (as do the links alone) for Friendship, Love, and Truth.

Upvote 0
PBK said:
CRUSADER said:
that fellow who sometimes id's things on here, think his name is pkb or something ;)

Got it on the second guess: "Or Something." :D

Here's a c. 1900 Independent Order of Odd Fellows celluloid button displaying the same design:

I. O. O. F. / [all-seeing eye] / three links of chain.

On some versions, within the links are the initials F. L. T., which stand (as do the links alone) for Friendship, Love, and Truth.

Nice one as per norm :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the ID guys!! One more mystery solved. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back