Day two and you said it would get better

Raisinkain

Jul 14, 2005
Roseboro
Yup day two with the Ace 250 and learning the machine. You all told me it would get better and it has a little. Still hunting my front yard and here are the finds for today. .44 in clad 9 pennies one dime and a quarter. a couple pieces of iron and a nail and a blue button that came up in the same hole as the nail. one piece of iron is big but really really rusty and cant make anything out on it. I didn't take a pic of it but it is about 2" X 4" and about 1/2" thick. I also had an interesting find I am sure most of you can relate to. I am over to the side of my yard and get a VERY strong signal so my daughter starts digging and she hits something solid and the more she digs the bigger it gets until it is obvious that it is round and iron. About 3 foot in diameter. I have her run and get some water to read the writing on it and it shows Fayetteville, NC water works water meter. Unusaul you wouldn't think but I don't live in Fayetteville I live in a small town 22 miles away from Fayetteville. So now the question was it once annexed by Fayetteville? is it really a water meter?(my real meter is about 50 foot from this cover) or is it covering something? what would you do? Happy hunting people

Attachments

• 72505.jpg
    72505.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0
The more you use it the easier it will become. You will be able to locate your targets faster and with less digging as you become more familiar with your machine!

Here are some tips from: http://66.51.97.78/coinist/gatipspage1.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ace 250 Info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ace 250

1. The Ace 250 is very sensitive to small objects like foil. A little piece of foil will make it ring solid like a nickel. In that respect it reminds me of a Tesoro.

2. I found a target and changed my sweep speed from slow to fast and it didn't seem to affect the way the 250 sounded on the target. I am going to try this out some more so I find the correct sweep speed.

3. On targets that read only one way every one I dug so far was junk.

4. One thing I like about the Ace 250 is the custom program as in some junky areas I notched out the nickel area and only went after pennies and up. This helped me in one area where it was beeping all over the place because of foil and iron. It is a very sensitive detector and works great on small jewelry items.

If you are in the coins mode & hit "-" it will take you to all metal.

Air Test Ace 250

I got about 7" on a Quarter & 6" on a Nickel with the Factory Settings.

Posted by Coinist (OH) May 9,2005 on Coinist's MD Forum

I dug a few "silent" pinpoint mode targets and they were iron every time.

1. foil will wander and also read a lot deeper than it is

2. fast adds a bit of depth actually. A trick with the 1200 series of fishers is to park above the target detuned and sweep out quickly, if it rings out it is probably a good target. I have to try this with this unit.

3.Yup, if it doesn't hit consistently walk away. even a small blip that is repeatable is worth the effort, usually. 1913 1/2 penny with a square nail up against it in the latest case.

Posted by sa1ka May 9,2005 on Coinist's MD Forum

My views on the 250:

1. A really good machine for trashy areas.
2. Loves to eliminate iron
3. Lets you know if the target is big
4. Pinpoints like a laser, except big targets
5. Light as a feather
6. Great notching
7. Strange behavior in pinpoint mode sometimes?
8. No volume gradient on deep targets
9. Stem wobble, fixed with O rings
10. Seems to max out at 8", silver quarter
11. will miss deep dimes
12. loves nickels
13. cannot let a piece of copper go by

So all in all a great machine for the park and school yard, I haven't hunted the beach with it yet. The depth gauge is spot on for coin sized items and rings. The id works quite well, good enough to let you know when it is iron or 99% sure that it is a tab and not a coin. I would welcome a larger coil for it also to see if this can get it over the depth hump. but hey for 3c Canadian no complaints what-so-ever.

This leaves me knowing that I will get a second unit that is more suited to deep soil conditions and that either has auto track or manual GB.

Ace 250 Trick:
If you are getting an intermittent high tone, set the coil down on the ground as close to the area as you can, and let it rest for a second or two, sweep slowly and see if it goes away, if it does so should you....junk 100% of the time from my experience.

Posted by sa1ka May 18,2005 on Coinist's MD Forum

Ace 250
Three distinct tones... the low tone for iron, the mid tone for nickels, etc, and the the higher bell tone for the coins. What I mean be bell tone is that instead of a "Ding" that ends abruptly, you get a resonating "Diiiiiiiing". Very noticeable difference.

As far as sounding off so much in this set up... I've noticed that if a target initially id's as one thing, it might id again as another (junk target), but it will sound both tones. Maybe it's a feature to let you know that you don't have a repeatable tone, and they fail to mention it in the book??? Don't know, but that has been my experience.

Good luck! Let me tell you... if the Ace 250 marks a stable, steady target, you got something nice to dig!

Posted by beetle662(KY) May 23,2005 on Coinist's MD Forum

The Yeller Feller..
Took my Garrett ace 250 for a run in my local park. Got several dollars in change from recent drops to 4 inches. Meter ID'd coins accurately and of course in the nickel range picked up some trash which I would with more expensive units also. Pinpointing was right on and depth accurate.

12 ID facets was adequate as heck my expensive CZ only has 6 facets. If I tried to run the sensitivity near max. did get some bongs as I call them which was sort of like a half belltone.

On the way home stopped by a river bank where you sort of need one leg longer than the other and the lightweight came in handy. Pulled a wheatie and a silver roosie both at 5-6 inches..

Unit is well made and is long enough for my 6'2" frame or could easily be handled by a youngster. I found the unit user friendly with my experience, but perhaps a newbie may take a bit to get the hang of it by reading the manual, but shouldn't take long as its all in front of you with the press of a button. Had a slight wobble and would like to see locks on the connectors, but a piece of tape quickly made it solid. At its low price is easily most bang for the buck and has many facets found on expensive detectors. Everyone worries about depth and took it to my test plot and got a dime and nickel at 6 inches and quarter at 8 so it had adequate depth.

I know I jumped around a bit as not used to writing product reports. In conclusion its a low priced, well made, light, user friendly unit with moderate depth and would serve an old timer or newbie very well. Yep kind of liked the bright yellow color and the new designed coil as well.

Posted by Dan-Pa. May 23,2005 on Coinist's MD Forum

Good Hunting! --omnicognic 8)

Good stuff!

Keep at it, and keep us posted!

HH

Lonewolfe

Sounds like you're having a good start to detecting, Raisin.? Is the large plate out in front of your house just inside the property line?? And does your house have a crawl space and not a basement?? Around here in Iowa, older homes without a basement sometimes had a water meter pit.? My neighbor's house still has one, it's a manhole cover above a pit in the ground with the actual meter inside 4+ feet below.? They usually ran a wire to the house where the reader would actually read it.

dONT MAKE IT HARDER THAN IT IS. yOU HAVE TO GET THE DETECTOR OVER THE GOODIES TO GET THE GOODIES. lEAVE THE METER ALONE. iTS JUST A METER. gO SOMEWHERE OLD. Look for torn up pavement in an older part of town. Do the grass strips. Try to do other peoples (older) houses. Research for old towns in your area that no longer exist. I always hunt a town near here that was completely grated smooth in the 70's. My last few finds were: 1911 penny, good for 5 token, old newspaper print block (4 H), walking liberty half, 1900ish watch fob, the list goes on. Get an old map of your area(1900-1930), and compare side by side to a new one. If the town nolonger shows on the new one, you have a town name to research. If you cant find any info. drive to the area, and ask the people around there. Believe me , it works. People love to talk about there little piece of the world.

Attachments

• 8ggg.jpg
    8ggg.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 250
  • black1.jpg
    black1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 230
  • wen2.jpg
    wen2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 235
  • xxxzx.jpg
    xxxzx.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 234
  • wen2.jpg
    wen2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 222
  • black1.jpg
    black1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 8ggg.jpg
    8ggg.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 225
  • xxxzx.jpg
    xxxzx.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 227
Looks like your doing great,,, if there's anything old there, you will find it, sooner, or later... ;D
If that water meter is not the one to the house, I would dig it up... Most of them have a little bolt on it that you have to turn, to unlock it,,,, if it still hooked to the original hole.... Ya never know what might be under it....
Good luck & Happy hunting~

P.S.> If ya find a more gold under it then you can handle,, just remember who told you to Dig it up!... ;D

Your doin just fine,WTG!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back