Day of Firsts

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day of 'Firsts'

Just in case ya'll did not see in "Todays Finds"

I found these things while doing some relic hunting at a new location me and my friend hunt. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the things that I found. They included several first for me and one piece that has me stumped. I will post pic of it and you will see that it looks like a piece off of a regimental symbol, or a flame, etc. If you look close you will see little hatch marks. It is in the shape of a wing so if anyone can help me ID it I would be greatful. I have no doubt that it is CW era as there is very little trash in this area out in the woods. Found a couple minies, 7 Sharps, a should strap hook, and a nice button from a vest or kepi with what looks to be a secession crescent moon and star on it but cannot tell for sure yet and a nice buckle. When I found the buckle I thought that it was just a solid piece of iron but I kept it anyway and when I got it home to clean it the caked up mud fell out of the center to reveal a nice CW buckle..bigger than the average knapsack buckle. All and all a good day. Please, if anyone can help me ID the mysterious 'wing-looking' piece let me know. Thanks all for taking a look
smiley.gif

Attachments

• New 081.jpg
    New 081.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 251
  • New 082 cropped.jpg
    New 082 cropped.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 256
  • MD pics 085.jpg
    MD pics 085.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 209
  • MD pics 087.jpg
    MD pics 087.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 252
  • MD pics 087.jpg
    MD pics 087.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 254
  • MD pics 085.jpg
    MD pics 085.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 210
  • New 082 cropped.jpg
    New 082 cropped.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 246
  • New 081.jpg
    New 081.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Croped 083.jpg
    Croped 083.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: Day of 'Firsts'

I have never found an exploding bullet. Can you post some close up pictures so I can see what they look like...d2

Re: Day of 'Firsts'

D2,

After more analysis, these are actually Spencer .52 & .53 caliber bullets. But there are such things as Exploding bullets. Here is a picture of one:

Gardiner Explosive

Click on Photo to enlarge
MM#: 532
TT#: 154a
Caliber: .58
Diameter: .571
Length: 1.127
Weight: 365
Rings: 3
Base Type: 5
Cavity Type: 8
Weapon: Rifled Musket