Dating Cut Nails

ady5008

Apr 17, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I are restoring an old log house, and don't know the date of construction. It has a "stove room" or "German three room" floor plan which is kind of uncommon. Does anyone know much about dating cut nails? On many of them the burrs are indistinguishable, but where they are, they seem to be on opposite corners which would make them a "type a". The big nails are what held what I believe are the original interior plank dividing walls to the summer beam. The smaller L heads nailed the lath to the logs on the first floor. The smaller wide headed nails were in the lath in the only room that appeared to have ever been plastered upstairs. The three oddball nails are just that; oddballs that we found nailed into the logs here and there after removing the plaster. I think the plaster was added sometime after the house was built. We found a brass button in the crack of a log behind the plaster. So the logs must have had at least several years to dry out and crack when the button was put there, before it was plastered. The button appears to have a spun back which would date it to 1760-1785. I have found mention of a nail factory being one of the first industries in the nearest town which was layed out in 1787. I haven't found any other info on the factory though. IMG_20190416_202657.jpgIMG_20190416_201826.jpgIMG_20190416_202412.jpgIMG_20190416_202633.jpgIMG_20190416_202920.jpgIMG_20190416_202932.jpgIMG_20190416_202008.jpgIMG_20190416_202022.jpgimage000000 (15).jpgimage000000 (16).jpg

Last edited:
Old square nails might have some good finds there worth swing gung a coil over

Upvote 0
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard ady5008! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

teacher.gif
Until a member pipes in - here are a few informative articles talking about nails...

University of Vermont - Nails: Clues to a Building's History
Nails provide one of the best clues to help determine the age of historic buildings, especially those constructed during the nineteenth century...

Nail Chronology - National Park Service over
tn_adobe.gif
PDF File 1.37MB
tn_adobe.gif

The National Park Service in its historic structures restoration program has developed some research techniques...

tn_nails_04.jpg

The History of Nail Making
History does not record who it was, but the incredible results of that inspirational moment are all around us - in the houses we live in, the bridges we cross, the furniture we sit on...

Your Online Source for Identifying Fakes and Reproductions - Nails As Clues to Age
Most everyone knows that handmade nails are older than machine made nails...

Upvote 0
The info vpnavy provided regarding Nail Chronology - National Park Service looks to be extremely helpful. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, the font is so small it's difficult for me to read without a magnifying glass.

Kudos to you ady5008 for taking on this restoration project, I wish more folks 'restored' as opposed to tore down and rebuilt old buildings. :notworthy:

Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back