✅ SOLVED Dating axe heads and hoe blades?

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find old axe heads and hoe blades often around old farm sites, but these are much older than what I normally find. These two were found feet apart at a site dating back to the mid 1700s. There are no maker marks on either. The axe head weighs in at 5 pounds. Anyone have any idea as to how to date these?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Got tired of her now shes an axe sorry couldn't resist I also find lots of axe heads and tons of pot pipes

Upvote 0
Santa Claus got arrested in a Chicago Mall for yelling HO HO HO, seems the ladies took offense. Hee Hee Hee .....Joe McDonough

Upvote 0
Those were probably hand forged by a local blacksmith sometime in the early 18 Hundred's

Upvote 0
Chart

Attachments

• 1453164270033.jpg
    1453164270033.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 691
Upvote 0
Found this in another axe head post

Attachments

• 1453164367939.jpg
    1453164367939.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 456
Upvote 0
I find old axe heads and hoe blades often around old farm sites, but these are much older than what I normally find. These two were found feet apart at a site dating back to the mid 1700s. There are no maker marks on either. The axe head weighs in at 5 pounds. Anyone have any idea as to how to date these?

View attachment 1262169
View attachment 1262170
View attachment 1262171
View attachment 1262172
View attachment 1262173

You have a "Baltimore Kentucky" pattern axe head made by Warren Axe and Tool Co 1897-1912
or, you might have Council Tool "Railsplitter" model, maybe 1886-present, but the "lug" of this one,
isn't as acute, as the other make.
Can't help date the hoe, it looks (1800's?)
Good Finds!

Upvote 0
Found this in another axe head post
That's cool. My buddy Damnails found one a while back that you can clearly see the steel edge. Thanks for the info, it will help date it

HH, Relic Nut

Upvote 0
I really like the chart. Great info for future finds!

Upvote 0
You have a "Baltimore Kentucky" pattern axe head made by Warren Axe and Tool Co 1897-1912
or, you might have Council Tool "Railsplitter" model, maybe 1886-present, but the "lug" of this one,
isn't as acute, as the other make.
Can't help date the hoe, it looks (1800's?)
Good Finds!

Thanks for connecting a maker to the axe pattern! I'm thinking the hoe was made around the same time.

Upvote 0
thanks for the chart - where did you grab it?
Very useful!

Did an internet search for axe head types and dates windup back on treasurenet it was a post about axe heads. I can't remember who the original poster was now.

Upvote 0
Just remembered it was buckle boy and the name of the post was axe head showroom

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back