✅ SOLVED Dating a Straight Razor, Copper Shoe Heel Cover?, and a Whatsit?

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First: Any chance that a date range can be determined for this wood handled straight razor?

DSCN7309.JPGDSCN7310.JPGDSCN7311.JPGDSCN7312.JPG

Second: Same question regarding what I believe to be a child's boot/shoe heel. Made of copper. House dates to mid 1800s, but area occupied much earlier.

DSCN7314.JPGDSCN7315.JPG

And third: Small metal object shaped like a liquor bottle. Some color still left on what appears to have been a painted label. The bottle separates in half, with appears to be a "capsule" of some sort inside. Does not easily unscrew. Maybe isn't supposed to. i didn't force it. Marked on the bottom: "Pat Applied For".

Any ideas?

DSCN7304.JPGDSCN7305.JPGDSCN7306.JPGDSCN7307.JPG

Your guess about the second object is close. It's not for a shoe's heel, it is a shoe toe-protector. The version you found was patented in 1859, and in use for several decades afterward. I've read the actual US Patent for it, which specifically says it is a shoe-toe protector. The holes were for stitching it onto the shoe's sole at the front of the toe area. Some (but not all) are marked with the patent-date, saying "PAT. NOV. 29, 1859. See the photo below.

Attachments

• shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.jpg
    shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Found it!

Cigarette lighter from 40s.
marked Kem Co.
detroit Michigan

An un-dug one looks like this:
bottle lighter.jpgth.jpg