Damaged 1957 dime?

Footballman77

May 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just would like someone with more knowledge then me (pretty low qualifications [emoji12]) to confirm this is a damaged coin and not an error? Thanks
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514413537.778946.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514413555.236909.jpg

judging from the way the date has a section that looks like peeling, I'd say it's a lamination error from the mint

Upvote 0
Me to, agree with the rest.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't know a coin defect if I tripped over it! :laughing7:

Pretty cool though.:skullflag:

Upvote 0
1957 dime was not laminated. Anything on the back? Looks like marks caused by force??

Tony, a lamination error isn't because of lamination in terms like a copper/nickel sandwich like a clad coin, the error is because of improper mixing of alloys to create the blank planchet on which the coin is stamped. Do a google image search of 'coin lamination errors' and you will see many examples that look identical to this one on a broad range of coins

Upvote 0
I have learned something!
Tony, a lamination error isn't because of lamination in terms like a copper/nickel sandwich like a clad coin, the error is because of improper mixing of alloys to create the blank planchet on which the coin is stamped. Do a google image search of 'coin lamination errors' and you will see many examples that look identical to this one on a broad range of coins

Upvote 0
I had never even heard of lamination errors, thanks again for shedding light on another of my questions

Upvote 0
At first glance, I was going to say "Damaged", but after reading the other post, I just learned something as well. HAVING said that, could it be both?

Upvote 0
At first glance, I was going to say "Damaged", but after reading the other post, I just learned something as well. HAVING said that, could it be both?

based on the pictures.... no. The areas that look like deep gouges were originally just like the area of the date, but have flaked off completely during circulation

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back