D2 or 6x10, thoughts help and input please!

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hi everyone, I am looking to get another coil for my MXT and have heard lots of good things about these 2 coils and am looking for input to help decide between the 2. It is my understanding that they are both DD type coils where instead of having a cone shaped search field they have a bar shaped or rectangular shaped field from toe to heel, and also while the 6x10 is oblong shaped and the D2 is round the 10'' size is the same, is there a reason for the difference in shapes? and has anyone used both of these and which one came out on top? I have read several of the D2 and 6x10 posts and have not seen any head to head opinion. Also while i mostly hunt in more open areas like yards and beaches i can see where the 6x10 would be handier in the woods due to it's shape and non brush snagging design, so any thoughts here or have i missed something? please let me know and thanks!

Chuck.

From what I know about the D2, it is more for higher mineralized conditions...........If your searching in areas with higher ground minerals it would be more suited for that...............I think that would be about it between the 2. Some people swear by the D2 and others seem to not be as impressed with it. If your searching on beaches and stuff I think you would be better off with the D2 than the 6X10 because of the wet salt conditions, Tim

Thanks for the input BigTim, i wish we could find someone who has used both of these so we could get a better answer to this burning ?, I know you are very fond of your 6x10, and as far as that goes we really don't have to my knowledge any hot soil conditions here in SW Michigan, no salt water beaches either, my thought is that with a coil intended to work well in hot soil it should work even better in cool soil so to speak, also my dealer seems to think the D2 is the way to go and i trust him, just would be nice to get some head to head reports on this, and the only other thing at least to me is i tend to swing kinda fast and am worried that with the smaller and lighter 6x10 that may be a problem, so the thoughts continue, maybe in the end it would be easier but not cheaper to just buy both and try them, then off the loser!

Chuck.

From Littletwig

I have both the 6x10 and the D2. I find for the kind of hunting I do most, coin and jewelry in high trach areas, that the 6x10 separates better than the D2. I'll grant that the D2 give me a couple more inches in depth but that doesn't out weight the 6x10 ability to pick thru trash. I love the D2 in less trashy areas like th beach and football/soccer fields or when I am relic hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back