CZ-21 vs 1280x

excav

Jul 16, 2011
northwest coast of ohio
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As you can see I dont post much but I read a lot of posts. I really like this website. I have a 1280x that I use mostly in Lake Erie and I think I do
ok with it, not great, but ok. So my question of you who have had 1280s and upgraded to CZ21s and keeping in mind I only hunt fresh water-
would my upgrading to the CZ actually increase my finds enough to make it worth the investment ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Off hand I'd say no. I have many water detectors and can only search freshwater now. The 1280 has no Ground Balance and I sent mine in long ago to have it set for my area. The CZ20/21 has ground balance, Autotune, which is All Metal without the filters of disc. Also operates on two frequencies, has 3 different tones. Low for Iron, Mid tone for pull tabs, nickels and some gold rings and a High tone for most coins and larger high conductive targets. It also has a target overload tone like for shallow large targets like pop cans or wrist watches. (Rolex) As with the 1280, you have to decide on which size coil and I prefer the larger size for coverage per sweep. Some say it can't pick up small chains and mine don't either, but it can respond to those tiny earring backs.

Ground balancing is a snap and not worth worrying about. The biggest advantage is depth and being able to concentrate on only the Mid tones while ignoring the coin high tones and leaving those for the newbies while you collect all the rings and of course pull tabs. But how many people carry their beer out swimming?:icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 059.jpeg
    059.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Thanks Sandman. I suspected as much. I got spoiled a long long time ago. I had access to a local swimming lake that was closed. It had been in use for a long time. I floated
my 5000D- GEB Whites in a styrofoam cooler and used a homemade scoop, worked out as far as I could breath. I was actually disappointed when silver coins came up in the
scoop. Those days are gone. Thanks again.

excav said:
Thanks Sandman. I suspected as much. I got spoiled a long long time ago. I had access to a local swimming lake that was closed. It had been in use for a long time. I floated
my 5000D- GEB Whites in a styrofoam cooler and used a homemade scoop, worked out as far as I could breath. I was actually disappointed when silver coins came up in the
scoop. Those days are gone. Thanks again.

I floated a Garrett ADS 7 the same way and had a ball. Now days everyone and his brother has a MD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back