CW relic hunting - Any good tips and techniques?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm waiting for a call-back from the pastor of a church in the middle of a small Civil War battlefield. They are tearing down a cottage (circa 1920?) on their property to make more parking.

If I get the OK to hunt, any good advice on the most productive use of my time?

I have a White's Classic V ID and am relatively new to the "sport" of MDing. Also have access to an Ace 250.

Any advice is appreciated.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
The best thing that you could do is to hook up with another Tnet member who has more experience than you and take them along. This is a great opportunity and you say you are new to the field. The knowledge gained by having another more experienced hunter help you ,beats anything that we can tell you. And sharing a days hunt at a primo spot will not only be fun,but then you wont be kicking yourself down the road,by thinking you might have overlooked something or left a great relic in the ground. I am sure the person you invite would love the opportunity to hunt the battlefield and share as much hunting advice as you would like in exchange.

Most of the good finds are going to be found in the foil to nickel range. Buttons, especially the small cuff buttons, will ring up down in foil. The lead comes in all over, but the bigger ones are up around nickel.

jUST DO WHAT GRIBNITZ SAID. ALSO KEEP YOUR COIL VERY CLOSE TO THE GROUND ABOUT 1/4 INCH SWEEP IN A HALF MOON PATTERN IN FRONT OF YOU. TAKE YOUR TIME. IF YOU GET A GOOD SIGNAL DIG IT. IF YOUR NOT SURE ABOUT THE TARGET DIG IT. MY EXPERIANCE WENT HUNTING WITH A BUDDY BY AN OLD CIVIL WAR ERA BARN I KEPT DIGGING PIECES OF ALUMINUM ALL ABOUT 2 INCHS DEEP. FINALLY TIRED OF IT I IGNORED ANYTHING AT THAT DEPTH. WELL MY FRIEND COME UP BEHIND ME AND SAID WHY DID'NT YOU DIG THIS ONE IT'S A NICE TARGET.I SAID GO AHEAD BUDDY DIG IT YOU WELL FIND OUT. WELL HE DUG IT AND OUT CAME A UNION SPUR NEVER AGAIN!! I DIG IT ALL IF THE SIGNAL IS GOOD NO MATTER HOW DEEP. OH BY THE WAY WEAR SNEAKERS OR SHOES WITHOUT METAL IN THEM IF YOU CAN HELP IT. AND IF YOU GET A GOOD TARGET GO OVER IT A FEW TIMES IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS THIS WELL HELP YOU IN IDENTIFING GOOD TARGETS FROM BAD TARGETS WITH TIME. THE ACE 250 SEEMS LIKE A GOOD DETECTOR FOR YOU JUST STARTING OUT. IF YOU KEEP DIGGING ALUMINUM CANS AND FEEL THE NEXT TARGET IS THE SAME REMEMBER THIS . IT COULD BE A BUCKLE OR BREAST PLATE. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND. AND GOOD LUCk ANY QUESTIONS ALWAYS ASK 8)

Got permission and went to the site on Saturday (PERFECT weather!). First target was a horse shoe about 4 inches down. A good sign, I thought. After that, everything was modern. Seems like the site was heavily landscaped in the recent past. 4 - 5 inches down was crushed stone - tough digging.

In the end I had $1.46 in clad, a silver 1947 dime, a small copper medalion, and a lead wheel balance weight.

Biggest thing was, I had a load of fun. I'll go back again when the tear down the parsonage and start digging the foundation for the new building.

Thanks for the advice.

DCMatt

wow, you guys know alot.me and my big bro 11 and 15 went hunting around cassville and 5 mins into it we found an old civil war sturrup.i mean not exactaly a cannon but for the first time it was good.and a relic collector that lives in my neihgberhood bought it. ;D :) :D ;)

jhunter said:
wow, you guys know alot.me and my big bro 11 and 15 went hunting around cassville and 5 mins into it we found an old civil war sturrup.i mean not exactaly a cannon but for the first time it was good.and a relic collector that lives in my neihgberhood bought it. ;D :) :D ;)

Dang, I'll buy the next one you find :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back