CW Navy Button, Mystery Solved, Thanks Ivan

K

KirkTN

Found this early today, up the hill from where I found what I know is a civil war button. My question is, could this be civil war too, The Eagle surround by stars holding the anchor makes me wonder. The center piece with the Eagle comes out, and on the back it appears a similar piece is missing. Also, it looks like the rim may be missing a piece or two. I thought, maybe it was a three piece button. Brother John's not sure about this one either.

Attachments

• NOTSUREEAGLEPIECE.jpg
    NOTSUREEAGLEPIECE.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 423
  • WHATSITEAGLESOMETHINOROTHER.jpg
    WHATSITEAGLESOMETHINOROTHER.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 396
  • BUTTONS.jpg
    BUTTONS.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 382
Re: Eagle Holding Anchor surrounded by stars

Looks like an old naval button..just not sure how old.

Upvote 0

Thanks, I'll try lookin' for naval buttons on the web.

Upvote 0

I Think I found it, I believe it is a civil war navy button, here's a pick of one I found on the web, the details on the found match up. and I believe the back is just missing the piece with the loop, the question I had about the couple little pieces juttin out on the edge, upon closer examination appear to be the reverse rim that hold the loop piece in place, it' s just been mashed and the back piece has fallen out.

Thanks for lookin.

Attachments

• civilwarnavybutton.jpg
    civilwarnavybutton.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 440
Upvote 0

civil war navy botton and union eagle "A" type "artillery button"

Upvote 0

Thank You Ivan,

For the verification, appreciate your knowledge. can't wait to tell my Brother I found not one but two CW buttons

Upvote 0

duffytrash said:
eagle and anchor has always meant marine corps...

Duffy - As a rule it does - but not in the button universe. I'll post some examples of U.S. Marine, U.S. Navy, and civilian blazer/jacket buttons... not all eagle/anchor buttons are created equal. Also, it's usually only the back mark that can accurately date the button by manufacturer as SO many varieties exist for each. This is why we almost ALWAYS ask for a picture of the back mark to date the button. SOmetimes a guy finds an Eagle button at a CW site only to find out it was not even made AFTER 1870... :)

Posted only for consideration.

examples.JPG

Upvote 0
UGH RAH!! --- globe eagle anchor --- USMC --- USMC started off as part of the US NAVY "offically" -- AND STILL IS ON "PAPER" -- but most modern folks think of them as their own "group" these days.

Upvote 0
The Marines are part of the the Dept. Of the Navy as is the U.S. Navy. The Marines are no longer on paper a part of the Navy. It is some what semantics, but politically very real.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back