Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This mystery item was on my previous farm finds post. This is the farm that I have found some CW era items at.
Not sure if this is just junk, or possibly a keeper from that era? The metal looks very old, not rusted, and there is a small pin on the inside of the center. Would this be the top if some piece, and possibly a cord, wire, etc. was attached to the pin inside? I have no clue? I know it's not a whistle. ;) Just hoping someone may know.
Thanks for looking,
-MM-

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 640
  • mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 656
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 628
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 643
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 624
Will a magnet stick to it? If so, maybe it's brass. If not, maybe it's lead. The more info we have, the better chance of IDing the thing.

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
Will a magnet stick to it? If so, maybe it's brass. If not, maybe it's lead. The more info we have, the better chance of IDing the thing.

TT,
Sorry, I always forget to do the magnet test. I just tried it, and a magnet does NOT stick to it.
-MM-

Upvote 0
Thanks, now we can rule out brass, iron, steel, and tin. We can therefore consider lead, pewter, and copper. Lead can be sliced with a knife blade. Pewter doesn't polish well. Copper conducts heat. You have more tests to do unless somebody shows up who can immediately ID it. Sorry, I know I'm not being helpful. I give up. LOL

Upvote 0
Here's a guess. If stiff hair (horse tail or hog bristles) was threaded around the pin it would make a perfect pan brush for a flintlock firearm. Could well pre-date the Civil War by 100 years or more, or be from well into the 1900's. (aka "Pan Whisk"). HAve any Revolutionary or 1812 battles nearby?

Used to clear away fouling and "safe" a flintlock by removing the priming powder from the pan.

whiskpick1.jpg

Flintlock-tool.jpg

Suppose it could also be for any brush use, but the size is right for a pan brush.

PS - Brass and bronze are not magnetic. Cheaper brass plated steel is.

Upvote 0
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Here's a guess. If stiff hair (horse tail or hog bristles) was threaded around the pin it would make a perfect pan brush for a flintlock firearm. Could well pre-date the Civil War by 100 years or more, or be from well into the 1900's. (aka "Pan Whisk"). HAve any Revolutionary or 1812 battles nearby?

Used to clear away fouling and "safe" a flintlock by removing the priming powder from the pan.

whiskpick1.jpg

Flintlock-tool.jpg

Suppose it could also be for any brush use, but the size is right for a pan brush.

PS - Brass and bronze are not magnetic. Cheaper brass plated steel is.

Charlie,
That is some interesting info whether that is my object or not. I'll have to checking into the other wars in this area.
If I found an item that old, I won't know how to act. :D
Thanks for your reply.
-MM-

Upvote 0
Sure resembles the picture of the pan brush. Hope you have luck in Iding it and let us know your findings.

Upvote 0
I always guessed they were brass, but must be a copper-alloy. I have found hundreds of them over the years all over the place. So at least I can add they are common (over here).

I thought they attached to the end of a leather string??

Not something that I kept so have never bothered IDing.

Upvote 0
. . . guessed they were brass, but must be a copper-alloy . . .

Brass is a copper alloy. Copper + zinc = brass. Copper + tin = bronze. Trust me on this. My first job out of college was at an iron and bronze foundry.

Upvote 0
Charlie P. (NY) said:
. . . guessed they were brass, but must be a copper-alloy . . .

Brass is a copper alloy. Copper + zinc = brass. Copper + tin = bronze. Trust me on this. My first job out of college was at an iron and bronze foundry.

How many different kinds of copper-alloys are there?

Upvote 0
it's a piece of a parasol,civil war period,we find those around housesites regularly,it goes to the top mounting to a circular piece with slots to fit into and a wire goes in the open end extending to the outside of the parasol

Upvote 0
sapona said:
it's a piece of a parasol,civil war period,we find those around housesites regularly,it goes to the top mounting to a circular piece with slots to fit into and a wire goes in the open end extending to the outside of the parasol

Sapona,
You wouldn't happen to have a picture or a web site I could check it on on would you?
Thanks so much for that info.
-MM-

Upvote 0
sapona said:

Sounds good. Mystery solved? or any other takers?

Upvote 0
sorry Miner,I looked at all my books and can't find a picture,I do recall a friend digging up the piece yours attaches to that still had 2 of your pieces attached and I think a wire still attached,wish I could do more,but I will ask around and if I locate the piece,I will take a picture for you,David

Upvote 0
sapona said:
sorry Miner,I looked at all my books and can't find a picture,I do recall a friend digging up the piece yours attaches to that still had 2 of your pieces attached and I think a wire still attached,wish I could do more,but I will ask around and if I locate the piece,I will take a picture for you,David

Sapona (David),
Thank you. At least I can label this item now that you told me what it is. I was hoping it was from that era. Now I can put it with my other CW era finds.
-MM-

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back