CW Eagle Breast Plate

Bad Knees Bob

Jun 1, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Beach Hunter 300, Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first Eagle Breast Plate yesterday in a field close to my house. Considering it was surrounded by roots and very hard to remove, I’m very happy with how it looks and am stoked to add it to my collection.
I cleaned it with a tooth pick and a dry toothbrush. Should I seal it with olive oil or something else or leave it as is ? Thanks in advance.
IMG_1503.jpegIMG_1504.jpegIMG_1510.jpegIMG_1509.jpegIMG_1505.jpegIMG_1511.jpeg

Upvote 38
I found my first Eagle Breast Plate yesterday in a field close to my house. Considering it was surrounded by roots and very hard to remove, I’m very happy with how it looks and am stoked to add it to my collection.
I cleaned it with a tooth pick and a dry toothbrush. Should I seal it with olive oil or something else or leave it as is ? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 2165203View attachment 2165204View attachment 2165205View attachment 2165206View attachment 2165207View attachment 2165208
Great find. Near your home? I bet there is more to find in that field.

View attachment 2165203View attachment 2165204View attachment 2165205View attachment 2165206View attachment 2165207View attachment 2165208
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Well done on the recoveries.

Beautiful addition to any collection.
Certainly would be going on the top shelf.
Liking the 102 yr old dog tag as well.

Read up on different ways of sealing, or putting anything on it before you do.

Renaissance wax is another option.
Olive oil is nearing the lower rung of choices.

I found one just like yours here in Ohio I know a lot of soldiers returned back home with a lot of the military buttons and medals

That's a sensational find! What a great piece of history. If it was me, I wouldn't do anything more to it. It looks beautiful, as is. As others have mentioned....no olive oil!!!!!! Congratulations!

Thank you everyone for the advice. I’m going to leave it as is since it’s in great shape.
I’ll be hitting the location again when I get back home from a couple of days out of town.
I hope/expect more good finds as I have found relics in my yard as well as neighbors yards.

That is a stellar find. I am always happy to see these stellar finds still being found. It gives the rest of us hope.

Congratulations on an awesome find! That patina is beautiful just as it is. I avoid anything but a little water on relics I find. Your cleaning method is the best way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back