paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005

Attachments

• bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 0
diggummup said:
I don't know much about bullets but they look modern to me.

I agree. These are unfortunately modern.

Buckleboy

I'm glad this question was asked. Could someone out there with some CW experience do an info post on correctly id'ing CW era bullets?

Thanks!

Why guys? Because of the flat base? I dunno...

Put these puppies in the "What is it?" forum...

I'm also interested in finding out a little more... what are they from?

KevGA said:
I'm glad this question was asked. Could someone out there with some CW experience do an info post on correctly id'ing CW era bullets?

Thanks!

This is not as easy of a question to answer as it seems. There are hundreds and hundreds of types of CW bullets, and since the advent of MDing, many more new types have come to light. The vast majority of bullets used during the CW were two and three-ringer .58 cal. bullets, which most folks on Tnet should be able to ID at sight. The others can be tricky. I would say that the biggest clue is the age of other finds from the same site. If you've dug a wierd bullet along with some .58's on a relic hunt, then you might have another variety. If you find your mystery bullet in the woods along with some clad it is less likely to be CW. Doesn't mean it isn't, just that it is less likely. So I would recommend that everyone get the book commonly referred to as the "bullet bible," McKee and Mason's "Civil War Projectiles." Get a copy and thumb through it frequently so that you know what you're looking for. This resource should be a part of your library if you live in an area with CW history. Same with the Tice or Albert button book. The internet contains long lists of types of CW bullets with photos(usually for sale). These sites are good too, but they are usually contain only the more common types.

So that's as good of an answer as I can give.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks, Buckleboy. I think I will add that book to my library.
K

The one on the right looks like a .38 wadcutter(for easier scoring on targets) and the one on the left I aint got a clue about but looks like it could be an older one...d2

Hey Paleohunter, are you by Savannah or up the river furthur?

i have one also like the one of the right. I forgot what they told me it was but it is old and it was from a cowboy type gun that was no longer made after 1919.

If I can get some more info I will let ya know.

Hey AeroMike,I live in Savannah.I found those where they're doing rails to trails along 80 going to Tybee Island.

Thanks Txkickergirl! Please do.I look forward to learning more about them.

I appreciate all the replies..HH!! GL!!

alrighty then they are cowboy bullets you know the old leaver action ones you see in the movies. Well apparently these bullets were smokeless instead of the black powder. you can do a search for meister bullets or cast bullets and should be able to pull up more info. They still make bullets like this today to shoot in the old guns.
I found mine at an old army mule trading post with a variety of relics that date to that time so I would guess mine was not a modern and yours also looks that old do to the coloring.

Paleohunter, I live in Rincon. Maybe we can get together some time and do some hunting. I was shown an area you might be interested in. The person who was with me found a really nice small white arrowhead with a couple minutes of us looking and just before the rain started. It is in Effingham county. If you are interested, email me.

Thanks for the info on the bullets!!I came across a few more at the same spot and left them though.

Aeromike, I'm emailing you!

HH!!GL!!

Well, first they are BIG as far as a lead slug goes, at least the musket rounds anyway. The pistol rounds are about the size of a modern bullet, but again, can look quite different than today's slugs. They usually have a whitish patina from years in the ground, but not always. You won't see rifling marks on the bullets. Sometimes you will find a 'nipple' at the top of the bullet which is where the ramrod deformed the bullet being pushed down into the barrel. Do a search on "civil war bullet" on google and you will find a load of pictures to look at. There are even some shotgun slugs used during the CW, but I have never found one, again they look different than a modern shotgun slug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back