✅ SOLVED CW bullet I think, and a brass or copper heart. ID help

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas on the bullet. 56 or 57 caliber (crusty and not perfectly round) and weights approximately 354 grains. Found near old ferry on TN River. Have found Merrill Carbines, 3 ringers and a few CW buttons in the general area before. Not sure what the heart was used for or attached to and would like input on it as well. The heart appears to be brass or copper but see no obvious points of attachment. It is very thin to have been on pendant or worn in that fashion. Thanks in advance. :dontknow:
DSCF2894.JPGDSCF2896.JPGDSCF2899.JPGDSCF2900.JPGDSCF2901.JPGDSCF2902.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool......I have seen Hearts on varios period Horse tack items....especially breast collars,but as you know there has to be a means of attachement......at the top of the heart at the bottom of the "V",do you see where there may have been an eye?Reason I ask is I dug a large gold colored heart just like yours in a 1870ish site that had an eye

heart_breast_collar_4.jpg

Upvote 0
Kuger, Sure looks like it may have had an eye there.

Upvote 0
The bullet is an unfired civil war .54-caliber Burnside Rifle bullet. The corrosion on its lower sides was caused by the gunpowder in the thin brass cartridge-casing, which has totally corroded away. I've dug many which look exactly like yours. Sometimes bits of the casing are still attached to the slug's base when you dig it out of the ground.

I should mention, you found a somewhat scarce variation of Burnside bullet. Most have a flat solid base. Yours has the less-often-seen "dish" base.

Edit: I see that Duggap and I were typing at the same time. My reply took longer to complete because I tend to give "detailed" answers. ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bullet is an unfired civil war .54-caliber Burnside Rifle bullet. The corrosion on its lower sides was caused by the gunpowder in the thin brass cartridge-casing, which has totally corroded away. I've dug many which look exactly like yours. Sometimes bits of the casing are still attached to the slug's base when you dig it out of the ground.

I should mention, you found a somewhat scarce variation of Burnside bullet. Most have a flat solid base. Yours has the less-often-seen "dish" base.

Edit: I see that Duggap and I were typing at the same time. My reply took longer to complete because I tend to give "detailed" answers. ;-)

Well you just keep right on giving detailed answers, all of us look forward to reading them and learning something.

Upvote 0
Cannonball Guy and duggap I appreciate you guys. Since the bullet appeared to have been in a casing due to the change in oxidation at the base and unfired I checked the hole and dirt very well. Nada on the casing. Appreciate the bullet ID. Any ideas on the heart. Assuming horse tack.:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Cannonball Guy and duggap I appreciate you guys. Since the bullet appeared to have been in a casing due to the change in oxidation at the base and unfired I checked the hole and dirt very well. Nada on the casing. Appreciate the bullet ID. Any ideas on the heart. Assuming horse tack.:icon_thumleft:
...due to the eye,I dont think it was horse tack.The breast collar "hearts",I have seen had the attachments on the sides........I still dont know what mine with the eye was meant to be,it would seem like jewelry but its just a bit too big?

Upvote 0
kuger, pretty thin as well to have been jewelry. Would be very sharp and to easily bent.:dontknow:

Upvote 0
I have found several rabies vaccination tags for dogs that are heart shaped and about the same size as yours.

Attachments

• Dog tag.jpg
    Dog tag.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
Yea,yours s smaller than mine.....I am %99 sure its no kind of horse tack adornement

Upvote 0
fyrffytr1, a dog tag is exactly what I thought it was when I dug it. It isn't. It is very slightly cupped at the edges and too thin.

Upvote 0
Gonna mark it solved and maybe do a bit of research on the heart

Upvote 0
TNGuns, I found a very thin and fragile copper heart with the remnants of a loop hole on top also. It was bent in half and in the middle of a wagon road used by both Union and Confederate troops to cross the Arkansas/Missouri border. Mine is like yours with the exception of being embossed with a floral design, no writing. Like you, I would like to know what it is. Happy hunting, Sub 8-)
copperheart.jpg

Upvote 0
These hearts may have been a homemade love token of sorts from a soldier's sweetheart or families members and made from thin metal they were able to work easily.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all for the input. Found several Merrill Carbines and an Eagle GS in same general area since. Hoping to hit it again tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back