Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at a CW relics site, and noticed some CW baggage trunk locks for sale.
Here's the site:
http://www.midtenrelics.com/miscdug.htm
I have attached a picture of the locks on that page below.
Here is the description:
"Three excavated brass officer baggage trunk locks all excavated from Union 1863 winter camps here at Murfreesboro. Two of the three locks have the military eagle motif on them.--"

I found one in poor shape that looks similar to those (2nd picture below), but threw it in with my scrap metal pile of "farm finds" a while back. I had no idea what it was at the time, and have since been finding CW era artifacts on that property.
Maybe I need to retrieve it from the junk pile?

Question:
Does it look like the same thing to some of you?
Can anyone identify it for sure?
Thanks,
-MM-
"Dazed and Confused"

Attachments

• trunk face.jpg
    trunk face.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 345
  • locks.jpg
    locks.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 311
  • trunk face.jpg
    trunk face.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 327
The keyhole cover looks like a match for sure. The plain plate under it looks like it has brad or tack holes, so I'm guessing you've found one. WTG.

Upvote 0
According to the site where I found this similar pic. they are called Jenny Linds

Attachments

• hidetrunklocks.jpg
    hidetrunklocks.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 0
Hey Miner, I just now saw the bottle opener (cap lifter style) in the far right side of your photo. Any advertising on it that you can make out? I've been collecting those things for 30 years and it never ceases to amaze me how many different styles and brands there are. (I'm not dropping a hint, I"m just curious.)

Upvote 0
Angelo said:
According to the site where I found this similar pic. they are called Jenny Linds

Angelo,
Can you e-mail me that web site please?
Are they CW era?
Thanks,
-MM-

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
Hey Miner, I just now saw the bottle opener (cap lifter style) in the far right side of your photo. Any advertising on it that you can make out? I've been collecting those things for 30 years and it never ceases to amaze me how many different styles and brands there are. (I'm not dropping a hint, I"m just curious.)

Treasure Tales,
I will pick it up tomorrow when I go over there to MD . I have all the pieces that honestly I thought were junk finds, laying out on a rock. I was going to throw all this stuff away. Please take it as a gift from me. Seriously, I would never do anything with it. It is yours.
Just PM me with your address and I'll get it in the mail to you.
-MM-

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:

TT - Send me your snail mail and I'll get one to you as well. You can do what you want with it. I'm at work right now and don't even remember what is on the darn thing (except patina).

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I truly appreciate the generous offers of bottle openers. I have over 400 of them in my jumbled collection, so I'm relatively sure I've already got anything you might have. I've been collecting for 30 years or so. So although I thank you for the offers, please hang onto them, afterall you never know when you're gonna need a bottle opener!!! ;)

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
Thanks guys, I truly appreciate the generous offers of bottle openers. I have over 400 of them in my jumbled collection, so I'm relatively sure I've already got anything you might have. I've been collecting for 30 years or so. So although I thank you for the offers, please hang onto them, afterall you never know when you're gonna need a bottle opener!!! ;)

Any time... and the offer stands for you.

Upvote 0
I did a little cleaning up on the old trunk plate, then sprayed it with some of that stop rust spray. It came out pretty well. The only writing I see on it is "PATENT" engraved into the fancy scroll piece.
-MM-

Attachments

• Trunk plate before.jpg
    Trunk plate before.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 202
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 197
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Trunk plate before.jpg
    Trunk plate before.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
I found a trunk at a garage sale about a year ago that I suspect pre-dates the CW due to the fact it was lined with an 1812 newspaper. The front lock on mine is forged iron (like yours) and also missing it's swinging cover plate. (photos attached).

Trunk.jpg

Lock.jpg

Upvote 0
Watercolor,
Very neat trunk. I bet you got it for a heck of a price too. Thanks for sharing that.
-MM-

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back