Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas?

f4.jpgf5.jpg

Look at the holes so just by looking at it.maybe it was screed into something and the coin looking thing you use to get in or activate what it is so the coin could be a key

Upvote 0
Heh, I put the quarter I also found today there for scale

Upvote 0
cant yet locate it,but close.the part#504 L indicates there is prolly a 504 R.with this in mind it rather reminds me of a vehicle doorlock mechanism part.A simple guess at this point.
cheers

Upvote 0
Not horse related, perhaps off a steam engine, whistle lever ???

Upvote 0
Going on what Bigfoot said as this might be the left side of something, note the little ridges in the curve the part under the coin. This leads me to think maybe half of a set of pliers or if there is an edge (like a serrated edge) maybe a set of cutters. Also like bigfoot said, just a guess and my two cents worth.

Upvote 0
I'm having trouble reconciling those two pics. In the left pic, the item shows a blunt end on the right. In the right pic, with the item obviously flipped over, the 'blunt' end is now tapered. :icon_scratch:

I see what you mean, but actually the it's a trick of foreshortening. Here are a couple more views of that end from the underside or inside, plus a dorsal (?) view

p0.jpgp1.jpgp2.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, with the new pics, i think my idea may be a tad off.... :dontknow:

Upvote 0
What type of metal is it? Do you think that it's been bent or is that the natural shape? With the tapered holes on one side, it seems to me it was mounted with some countersunk screws. Some sort of latch or trunk hardware comes to mind for some reason.

Upvote 0
What type of metal is it? Do you think that it's been bent or is that the natural shape? With the tapered holes on one side, it seems to me it was mounted with some countersunk screws. Some sort of latch or trunk hardware comes to mind for some reason.

Yeah, it is meant to be bent this way. Appears to be brass. I think an early commenter suggested because it has L on it, it probably goes with a R. I believe its true function will probably remain a mystery

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back