DSCF1040.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1039.JPG
    DSCF1039.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • DSCF1038.JPG
    DSCF1038.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 56
Beautiful find, nice that it retains the original paint inside the stamped letters. :thumbsup:
Possibly something to do with mining or the shipping industry.

A bit of background information of where and how it was found would help as well.

Dave

Upvote 0
I found it in a big can of keys ....from the free table .... at the town dump . 6 pounds of keys & 1 padlock -lol

Attachments

• DSCF1041.JPG
    DSCF1041.JPG
    895.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF1042.JPG
    DSCF1042.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • DSCF1043.JPG
    DSCF1043.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • DSCF1044.JPG
    DSCF1044.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • DSCF1045.JPG
    DSCF1045.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
Nice find. Congrats. Looks like it may have been a railroad baggage tag to me.

Upvote 0
Greetings Mojjax, Are you familiar with the concept of the "night watchman". The night watchman kept watch in or around a building or factory. He walked a route, station to station that required him to trigger a time stamp at each station. He had his own dedicated key that fit one of several holes in the timeclock. As he walked his route he left a record of being there by activating the timeclock with his key. This was likely a fob that went with his key which might be the one under the "Makin Bacon" fob. That key may not be unique enough because they were so complex that no one could have copied it readily.

Best wishes!

Upvote 0
Similar to what 'Reanm8er' said, back in the day......railroad 'bulls' (police) would walk a prescribed route at night to deter 'hobos' from jumping on the trains in the yard. At certain intervals they would 'clock in' (turn the key) to show where they were and at what time (no sleeping on that job).
Don........

Upvote 0
Key tag for a early 20th Century time travel machine.

Upvote 0
If you have enough time on your hands, you could take a file to all those keys and make a bucket of bump-keys, then sell them on eBay.

Upvote 0
Makin Bacon HaHa that brings the 70's screaming back. I agree this is a tag for or a key fob for a night watchman

Upvote 0
That is a cool looking brass tag and Thanks to some knowledgeable folks you already have an I'D on it. Congrats.

Upvote 0
The text above the hole says - AM.RY.S,CO.NEW YORK

Upvote 0
I think it stands for [h=2]American Railway Supply Co.[/h]

Upvote 0
strike that about the tool check, this site says it is a time check called
brassing in and brassing out,by hanging the check with employee #,
so the timekeeper knows when employee worked

Q215 Time checks Can you tell me how time checks were used?
Question & Answer Board: Railroadiana Online Website

edit
not sure why link dosent take you to the Q pg.
in the search box in tab By word or phrase...** i put, time check
took a screen shot of answers

Screenshot 2019-05-27 at 4.07.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[SIZE=+2][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+0][FONT=&quot]he[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+2][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+0][FONT=&quot]merican[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+2][FONT=&quot]R[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+0][FONT=&quot]ailway[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+2][FONT=&quot]S[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+0][FONT=&quot]upply[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+2][FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=+0][FONT=&quot]ompany was founded in New York in 1891 and lasted well into the 1920s.
There's your timeframe.
Don....[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back