🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Curious about this bullet casing I found? How old is it and and any other info would be helpful, it says FEDERAL 45 AUTO on it.

DarthYoda333

Jul 14, 2023
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is properly called a "cartridge case". It was made by the Federal Cartridge Cororation, which was founded in Anoka, MN in 1922, and is still in business today.

Upvote 2
Fired by 1911 Browning pistol and Thompson machine gun!
Is there any way of telling by the size of the firing pin, say one being larger than the other?

Upvote 0
Never thought about the firing pin/ I found a "Grease gun" in Viet Nam which also fired the 45. A wild little firearm!!

Upvote 0
It would be very difficult to say what type of firearm made the firing pin impression. Offhand I can name around 70 different pistols and revolvers that are chambered for ,45 acp, not to mention several types of light rifles and submachine guns. To make it worse, firing pins made for the same model firearm can easily be slightly different depending on what year or even what day they were made, as milling cutters become worn, readjusted or replaced. The impression made by the same firing pin can differ due to the differing hardness of the metal in different batches of primers. I am not sure that even the FBI, with all its' resources, could say for certain.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back