curious about these bullets

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im trying to detect around this area where about 4 good sized log cabins stood in th later 1800s in an old mining camp.really hard and tons of trash.anyway I found alot of bullets so far and I have no way to tell how old they are. The first pic is of 2 cartridges.I wrote it out on the paper because they wouldnt show in a picture.the second is two bullets.is the bigger a blackpowder because its hollow in the middlw?.the smaller is bigger than a 22 im guessing around a 25 or30 caliber.do thise sizes exist?.the bigger is around 40 caliber.last is a pic of a cartridge thats half the length of a.22 but around the same diameter.the hammer mark goes all across the bottom which makes me think it is a pistol bullet.maybe black powder.just hiping these are around that time period.thanks.

Attachments

• KIMG0233.JPG
    KIMG0233.JPG
    605.2 KB · Views: 97
  • KIMG0238.JPG
    KIMG0238.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 90
  • KIMG0237.JPG
    KIMG0237.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 102
Im pretty new to detecting so this trash has been hard on me.plus I only have a minelab sd2200 which is more of a prospecting tool.anyone in the blewett pass area in washington thats actually a pro at this kind of situation.I might be willing to show the area for some lessons.its not an area you can reach by foot unless you want to walk about 4 miles.I have keys to access the area.

Upvote 0
Would make sense.I think the.cabins were tore down by the forest service around the 30 or 40s.people were probably still using them on and off untill then im sure

Upvote 0
Your .38-caliber bullet casing's markings, and time-dating:
"UMC" means it was made by Union Metallic Cartridge Company... which started marking its centerfire casings in 1885, so your casing cannot be older than that.
"SH" marking means Solid-Head casing... a type made in the mid-1880s through 1890s.
"38 S&W" means made for use in a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver.

Your .32 casing's markings, and time-dating:
"WRA CO" (not WPA CO) means Winchester Repeating Arms Company.
"32 A.C." means it was made for use in a .32-caliber Automatic Colt pistol... which was first introduced in 1903. Winchester joined with UMC, becoming the REM-UMC Company, in 1911 (although some sources say 1912). That gives you the time-range for your .32 bullet-casing.

The larger of your two lead bullets appears to be the form used in the (blackpowder) .38 Smith & Wesson casing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.im sure there is alot more to come.already found a 40 82 sh casing.seems they shot alot of different guns up tjere.hoping to find some shotgun shells soon.

Upvote 0
Usually you wish that upon your worst enemies but if you say so

Upvote 0
Usually you wish that upon your worst enemies but if you say so

HEY!

If he likes his Older Bullet types & Shotgun Heads that's Cool.
&
I thank him for Getting them out of the Soil. Even in an area Ill never Detect.

Davers

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.im sure there is alot more to come.already found a 40 82 sh casing.seems they shot alot of different guns up tjere.hoping to find some shotgun shells soon.

You Will.....

Davers

Upvote 0
Dont get me.wrong I want coins and other cool stuff worth finding.havent found any coins yet although my girlfriend panned a 1908 mercury dime from a seasonal creek in a ravine.this place has so much history in a small area and has become a big part of my life for almost 15 years now since I have owned mining claims up there.theres so much untouched area around there and not enough time to explore it all.I like finding anything thats connected with the history of the old townsite and surrounding woods.only really started detecting around there toward the end of summer here and its about ready to be snowed in.it will be a long winter but im going to start making a list of all the.areas I have found scattered around and hopefully something great will come out next year.people have been mining the.area since.the.1870s.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back