Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting the curbs and got the silver quarter right next to the sidewalk about 6 inches down and the 2007 North Dakota medal was on top of the grass next to the sidewalk.
Well I was detecting a 3 foot curb and was poking a screwdriver down to get a shallow coin when I herd
You better leave or I'll call the police. I said I was leaving and that I was on city property. She says my sewer pipe is down there. I told her that the sewer pipe was more than six feet deep. Than she tells me to leave again or she will call the police. :laughing7:
She was a man hater and a witch.

Attachments

• quarter 001.jpg
    quarter 001.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Region 001.jpg
    Region 001.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,196
  • Region 002.jpg
    Region 002.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Upvote 0
just crank up the headphones :laughing9: nice score.. MR TUFF

Just move on to the next yard down the street; it's not worth it.
Good job, BTW.

Exanimo

The Gringo

I never had any problems the few times I hit the sidewalk medians, but I did once at a park. The police told me I was fine, but comparing the finds to the annoyance of people yelling at me, I gave up. Most people just appear interested though.

Just out of curiousity, if you were on public/city property and they did call the police - what would they do? I mean aside from taking up detecting time...

apixelintime said:
Just out of curiousity, if you were on public/city property and they did call the police - what would they do? I mean aside from taking up detecting time...

In my experience it depends on the cop. If there is a potential of the situation escalating they will usually just ask you to move on. On the other hand, if the person complaining is being a real (insert insulting term here), they may just hang around for a bit and watch you dig. Mostly the cops are pretty cool about it.

DCMatt

"She was a man hater and a witch." It is that time of year. Try tying some garlic around your neck, I heard that works. :laughing7:

rodgerdodger said:
I've been detecting the curbs and got the silver quarter right next to the sidewalk about 6 inches down and the 2007 North Dakota medal was on top of the grass next to the sidewalk.
Well I was detecting a 3 foot curb and was poking a screwdriver down to get a shallow coin when I herd
You better leave or I'll call the police. I said I was leaving and that I was on city property. She says my sewer pipe is down there. I told her that the sewer pipe was more than six feet deep. Than she tells me to leave again or she will call the police. :laughing7:
She was a man hater and a witch.

I would have not have left. I would have politely told her to feel free to call the police and make sure that she tells them that someone is metal detecting on the sidewalk.

I would have gladly waited for the police to show up just to see the look on her face when they don't do a damn thing.

were you detecting near lourdes high school, because i think i saw you! every time ive drove throught there i imagine all the old coins in the ground. i guess you beat me to it! :'( nice silver! good job and hh :thumbsup:

apixelintime said:
The police would just tell me to move down the sidewalk to keep the peace. It happened once.

antlerman23 said:
were you detecting near lourdes high school, because i think i saw you! every time ive drove throught there i imagine all the old coins in the ground. i guess you beat me to it! :'( nice silver! good job and hh :thumbsup:
I was detecting around lourdes a couple of days ago. This happened north of 5th.St. not far from the river. The quarter was on 2nd.St.N.W.

Good thing you left, she might have turned you into a toad ( being a witch). ;D

If I intend to detect the curbs I go early to avoid such confrontations, but sometimes you just can not avoid them.

:D

Cool finds my friend :headbang:

It seems where ever you try to detect curbs these days witches turn up >:( Years ago, it seemed that noboby cared if you did this, but that all changed after 911 Dude...........

CHEERS :coffee2:

I would have told her that I was going to call the police if she didnt get on her broom and fly away.

Sounds like the type who call the cops at every little thing, they probably know her. next time hold up a pull tab and ask "did you lose a diamond ring? ...then quickly put it in your pocket and continue detecting. they get mad and go inside after that....trust me :laughing9:

Mmmm, Witches, seems to be a common problem when detecting :laughing7:

Water: Witches hate water, carry a bucket with you.

Smear bacon grease on her broomstick, she should fall off during a high altitude roll :D

Find someway to drop a house on her, worked in the Wizard of Oz.

Thats all I got, good luck :thumbsup:

Jeep said:
Mmmm, Witches, seems to be a common problem when detecting :laughing7:

Water: Witches hate water, carry a bucket with you.

Smear bacon grease on her broomstick, she should fall off during a high altitude roll :D

Find someway to drop a house on her, worked in the Wizard of Oz.

Thats all I got, good luck :thumbsup:

That should cover it. And don't forget to make the sigh of the cross with your fingers. Scares those vampires, may work on her also.

Sidewalk strips are one of my favorite places to hunt. As a few have said above, the cops usually just say move down to the next house.
What really worked good for me was to wear one of those orange vests, or a hard hat, or both. Look like a city worker. Homeowners would come out and ask
what I was doing, and I simply said that I was testing the ground for metal content. It's not a lie. 9 times out of 10 they turn around
and go back to the house.
One particular time, I just got done digging an AU-55 1914-D Lincoln cent, and this guy came out of the house and started screaming
to get off of his private property, and that he was some big shot with a big family name and he was going to have me thrown in jail. I normally
just walk down to the next strip, but this guy pissed me off so bad that I told him to call the cops, and I'd hang around till they got there.
The cop came and I explained what I was doing, so he looked up and down the strips that I had already done, and saw no sign that I was
ever digging, and he turned around and told the guy that I was on city property and had the right to be there. Then the guy starts
screaming at the cop about he's going to have his important friends fire him, etc, and all of a sudden he grabs his chest and drops to his
knees and had a heart attack. Luckily the cop was right there and called the ambulance and they hauled the guy off and he lived. At first
I kind of felt bad that all this happened, but the guy was such an A-hole that I think he deserved it. He was a big lard ass and looked like
he was a heart attack waiting to happen.
Another thing that works, is to take your back up detector, and when a homeowner comes out to ask what your doing, show him some old
coins, and tell them that they probably have a few in their own yard, and that you have an extra machine and would give them their first
lesson in their own yard, with the only catch being I get to keep what I find. I met one of my current best friends and hunting partner this way.
We got on his front yard, and the very first signal he got was a 1918 Walking Liberty half. He was instantly hooked on the hobby. That was around
15 years ago.

Slab

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back