Creepy Childs Head (Found around a seated quarter)

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Been out hunting a bit in my lawn this morning (which has produced two seated liberty quarters in the past two hunts). I got a 12-46 12-47 hit about 7 inches down. Dug up this thing..

small003.png

small004.png

may not mean much but it was found within 3-4' of an 1857 seated liberty which I pulled this morning (check Illinois forum for that post).
I would guess it would weigh in around 10 ounces or so fairly heavy for its size. Any ideas what it may have been used for?

Neil

Cherub. Possibly part of some kind of grave ornamentation,or ornamental fountain etc.

Upvote 0
hmm now you got me thinking.. maybe a door knocker or something... very interesting

neil

Upvote 0
I'm thinking it is part of a cherub candelabra or either a fountain. Neat find, Breezie

Attachments

• Cherub.jpg
    Cherub.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
Breezie I think you solved the mystery!! Thanks for the i.d. I am satisfied after seeing that pic!! Thanks so much for the help!!!

Neil

Upvote 0
It is just a threaded stump no hole for electronics to pass through from what I can tell it is just a threaded rod sticking out of the top. Looks exactly like what Breezie posted. I have looked inside the head with a flashlight and it is just a solid cast. It makes sense based on its weight that it was a bit heavy to to be a solid base for candles. dunno..

Neil

Upvote 0
nhagan said:
Breezie I think you solved the mystery!! Thanks for the i.d. I am satisfied after seeing that pic!! Thanks so much for the help!!!

Neil
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,259097.0.html

Upvote 0
Looks to me like there is a corodded over hole where the cherub's mouth is. On a fountain it would be spitting water. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back