🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Creek walk this afternoon

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Yesterday didn’t reveal much in the way of human treasure. Of course there was a bounty of intrinsic natural treasure all around me. Any way, I hiked to the creek this afternoon. The photo shows my finds. Remember, I’m a rock junky. A lot of nice quartz, a couple chunks of flint. Flint is plentiful on the high ground, but this is the first I’ve seen in this stretch of creek.
The 2nd photo shows some neat multi-color pieces. To me, these are all treasures. They took millions of years to produce and they give me a reason to hunt. Win-win! Good luck in all of your searching.

Attachments

• IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    980.1 KB · Views: 63
There's some pretty cool rocks there. Have you considered combining your rocks and your carvings to make a little "scene" sculpture? Like one of the men standing at the entrance to a mine, or hunting around among the "boulders", that sort of thing?

Upvote 0
There's some pretty cool rocks there. Have you considered combining your rocks and your carvings to make a little "scene" sculpture? Like one of the men standing at the entrance to a mine, or hunting around among the "boulders", that sort of thing?
I’m actually trying to incorporate rocks in my carvings. Funny you mention that. Right now I fill bottles with my favorites (if they fit) see photo. That may be a great winter project! Thanks for the encouragement.

Attachments

• IMG_2300.jpeg
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    712.3 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 5
I’m seeing mostly quartz and flint. Do you have igneous rocks in your area? Granite, diorite, etc.?
Yes. I find a lot of small granite nuggets: 1” - 2” diameter range. Mostly lighter pink colored. A few are more reddish brown

Upvote 1
There are some nice (pretty, not stained) quartz hafted front scrapers in the background of your pic. I like finding pretty quartz tools.

vfm

Upvote 0
In the field I saw a stripped colour rock.
Thought that's really cool.
Pink, white, black, stripes about ten lines.
Then I got a signal, and forgot about the rock.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back