courious find...

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Acouple months ago I posted a querry in this forum about a pair of Franklin halves that were drilled, but had no photo to post.
So I would like to pose the same question ....
Why would someone drill 1/4 inch holes dead center in two silver halves?
This time I have a photo....

Attachments

• 100_0224 A.jpg
    100_0224 A.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 672
gypsyheart said:
When they make rings out of coins they do that .

Used to be a popular thing, Mercs were one of the more commonly used coins. They'd drill a hole in the coin & use a spoon to tap the edge of the coin until it "rolled" basically inside-out.

Smitty

Option #2- Someone was a good shot ;)

Upvote 0
God one Smitty ;D ;D ;D

I remember when I was a kid in school, Everybody had a spoon, and a punch
We hold the coin through the hole with the punch
And tap the crap out of the out side of the coin with the spoon
That way it beveled both sides, and you get the writing in the middle, so you could still see it
Sizing was a problem, but we didn't care
When the recess bell rang, You had about 100 kids sitting around tapping them spoons
Ah,,,,,, the good old days
That was about 1957

HH OLD TIM ;D

Upvote 0
doublet2a said:
God one Smitty ;D ;D ;D

I remember when I was a kid in school, Everybody had a spoon, and a punch
We hold the coin through the hole with the punch
And tap the crap out of the out side of the coin with the spoon
That way it beveled both sides, and you get the writing in the middle, so you could still see it
Sizing was a problem, but we didn't care
When the recess bell rang, You had about 100 kids sitting around tapping them spoons
Ah,,,,,, the good old days
That was about 1957

HH OLD TIM ;D

Seems to me that a ring made from a half dollar would be HUGE.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
i found one of those rings made from a silver quater and it blew my mind how nice it was and how in the hell did they make this you could still see the writting inside the ring , i could see untied states and 1927 i could tell it was a coin i guess you learn something new every day ha?

Upvote 0
alexisntx said:
I wonder if CoinStar would take a coin with a hole drilled in it.
You know, I bet it would. I don't know how precise the weight system is on the machine, but since the edges are undamaged I expect it would roll through just fine. Be interesting to find out. Anyone have a holed JFK they would sacrifice?

Upvote 0
I would never put a silver coin in a coinstar machine.

I would take it to my local hedge company and they would weigh it write me a check and send it straight to the smelter.

OD

Upvote 0
Old Dog said:
I would never put a silver coin in a coinstar machine.

I would take it to my local hedge company and they would weigh it write me a check and send it straight to the smelter.

OD
Ummm, I didn't necessarily mean a silver JFK. I guess I should have made that more obvious.... ::)

Upvote 0
I made my ring out of a half dollar with my birth year "rolled" (along with the edge markings) to the inside of the ring. I think I still have it somewhere tucked away. I/we didn't drill the ring until it was finished to the approximate finished size. We tapped the coin while holding and turning it after each tap in our fingers and resting on our knee/thigh. The area you used to rest the coin on your leg would get a little sore after hours of tapping so you had to move it around a lot. :)
Unlike the picture you posted the Liberty Half had the date very close to the edge. In 1957 there were a lot of them in circulation. What teenager back then knew those coins were a dying breed? ???

Upvote 0
Once upon a time they made what they called a size 16 brass washer. It was the same weight and size as a quarter. A piece of tape over the holes and you were set.

Upvote 0
This was told to me by a very old Black man long ago. That in their history they would take a silver coin and drill a hole in it, then lace a piece of leather ( like a shoe string ) through it. They would put it around a baby's neck than was teething. It was used to relieve the teething pain.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back