Couple of Bullets Need Identified Please and a Ring?

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0915.JPG
These two bullets are identical. One in profile and one end view.

IMG_0918.JPG
Same two bullets for scale.

IMG_0916.JPGIMG_0917 (1).JPG
Not sure hold old or what this bullet is all about. I could not find it among the ones I searched.
It has one obvious ring and possibly on thinner ring under but I can't be sure as it has been
damaged on the other side.

IMG_0919.JPGIMG_0920.JPG
I think this is a ring but it is small and probably not silver. Still investigating it.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
First bullets appear to be 45's and the lead one looks to be .38 or so. They are not real old. Dont know about the ring...d2

Upvote 0
I agree with d2, modern bullets for sure
Ring thing I have no idea, looks like a mini hamster wheel, ha lol

Upvote 0
I thought as much but all are heavily oxidized. I thought it took several decades to get that white and encrusted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your ring is a bearing cage.It is to keep the ball bearings from rubbing against each other.I agree the bullet is modern and called a Full Metal Jacket FMJ for short.

Upvote 0
There are a lot of factors to consider when trying to determine how long it takes to turn bullet lead white. Age is important but soil and climate conditions can also have an effect. But if it is fifty or sixty years old it would still be considered modern.

Upvote 0
Your ring is a bearing cage.It is to keep the ball bearings from rubbing against each other.I agree the bullet is modern and called a Full Metal Jacket FMJ for short.
Of course!!! I knew I recognized it. It's been a long time but yes you are correct. That is exactly what it is. It triggered in my mind the moment I read your post. Thanks.

Upvote 0
All three of your bullets appear to be .45-caliber ones, because your photos show their diameter is slightly more than half the diameter of a US 5-cent coin, which is about .82-inch. We cannot know your bullets' exact caliber without super-precise measuring (in 100ths-of-an-inch), so at the moment I can only say they appear to be .45-caliber.

Assuming they are .45-caliber:
As has already been said, the first two would be copper-jacketed lead .45 Colt Auto(matic) pistol bullets. I should mention, they were also used in the .45 Thompson Machine-gun ("Tommy Gun") which dates a bit later than the Colt Auto pistol. That pistol dates from 1911 to the present. So, your first two bullets can date anytime from 1911 onward.

Your third .45 bullet is simple jacket-less lead, and its length appears to be about the same as the US 5-cent coins diameter. It has multiple tiny parallel ridges inside its body-groove, which means it is from no earlier than about 1878. It was made for use in either a .45 Colt, or Schofield, or Smith-&-Wesson revolver. In my opinion, it dates from the late-1800s through the first half of the 1900s.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back