Couple finds today

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
After a day of stressing out and working on a machine that is a vital part of my living, I had to get out. I was up literally all night looking over mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic schematics. That stuff is pretty much Greek to me, but I finally got my machine up and running like new!!! I must admit, I was proud of myself. I called my dad to let him know that we could work Monday, and ask if he wanted to hit the field. He met me in a field close to home, because our day light was limited. We came out with a couple pieces. Nothing special, but at least I was outside, living!!

image-1681849433.jpg

I found this one. I'm not sure that the tip in the pic is actually the tip to this point. They were side by side, but do not fit like a puzzle.

image-2541627386.jpg

image-1049942900.jpg

Pops found this one. It is the find of the day. People call these " preforms", but I can't see this as a preform. I see evidence of this piece being hafted to a handle, which makes it a knife blade to me. Any way, hope you enjoy!

Upvote 0
Nice finds! Both of you. A real shame that point is broken. Those stemmed archaic points are my favorites. So far anyway... haven't found a fluted one yet. Does the patina have even coverage across the break? Or does it look like a new break?

Last edited:
GatorBoy said:
Nice finds! Both of you. A real shame that point is broken. Those stemmed archaic points are my favorites. So far anyway... haven't found a fluted one yet. Does the patina have even coverage across the break? Or does it look like a new break?

It's an old break on both tip and stem. They were side by side. Here is another pic., do you think they belong together?

image-3642478043.jpg

Hard one for me.

Yes they belong together but the tip was in the dirt longer than the base. The base was probably sticking up out of the ground till it broke by the difference in color of the 2. Then the tip surfaced later. You lucky person being able to find both halves. That is a rare thing unless you broke it pulling it from the ground?

rock said:
Yes they belong together but the tip was in the dirt longer than the base. The base was probably sticking up out of the ground till it broke by the difference in color of the 2. Then the tip surfaced later. You lucky person being able to find both halves. That is a rare thing unless you broke it pulling it from the ground?

Thanks Rock! No, I didn't break it. The patina on both pieces clears me of doing it. I have been lucky when it comes to finding both halves of broken points. I always look for the other piece of a broken artifact, no matter how old the break is. This one is pretty old.

image-3476443127.jpg

Looks like it might be missing the between pieces like somebody stepped on it by accident. Just a small amount though cause the flaking just doesnt quite match unless one side needs to be turned around.

Nice Finds! I concur that both items in the first photo are of the same material and look like they very well were most likely one piece at one time. You are very fortunate to find both. :icon_thumright:

old digger said:
Nice Finds! I concur that both items in the first photo are of the same material and look like they very well were most likely one piece at one time. You are very fortunate to find both. :icon_thumright:

Thanks Digger! As Rock mentioned, one of the pieces has been further damaged. They do not fit like a jig saw puzzle.

I got really lucky on this one a few months back. Notice the glue isn't quite dry in the pic.

image-3150783702.jpg

Congrats on the points!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back