Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there

I'm wondering if I have a counterfeit KGIII on my hands. I found this in a cornfield a dozen yards away from a strong, detailed 1735 KGII. This is my first KGIII. Hopefully some of you kind folks with the interest and expertise can weigh in.

The weight is very low, planchet appears poor, and the diameter seems off even accounting for some edge loss. Also, the lips seem very prominent. All this together led me to learning more about Machin's Mills. Based on what my admittedly novice eyes are seeing, I've come up with two possible varieties:

1771 Vlack 3-71B
1787 Vlack 21-87D

That said, I'm confused by a possible stop preceding the "III," though this might just be corrosion? Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    769.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1968.JPG
    IMG_1968.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 83
Unfortunately too far gone. No one will be able to answer this.

Thanks for weighing in, IP. Too far gone to determine if it is genuine or counterfeit, or to distinguish among counterfeits? I'm presuming you meant the former, but would appreciate clarification.

Best,

Ken

Upvote 0
Thanks for weighing in, IP. Too far gone to determine if it is genuine or counterfeit, or to distinguish among counterfeits? I'm presuming you meant the former, but would appreciate clarification.

Best,

Ken

Too far gone to start anywhere. Chances are likely counterfeit, but time to dig a better one! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hate to see old coins in that shape. But still a good find

Upvote 0
Too far gone to start anywhere. Chances are likely counterfeit, but time to dig a better one! :thumbsup:

I agree a high chance but any further thoughts on variety is guess work.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back