✅ SOLVED Counterfeit Indian Head? Pretty interesting!!

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found both these coins in separate hunts. One is a bit heavier and slightly fatter than the other. It seems "broad struck" but could it be counterfiet?
It looks like 1862, stamped twice on it. I dont have a scale and I'm on my way to D.C. so I dont have access to the coins right now.
Here are some photos and I would really like to see what you all say about it.
I figured this could be a great learning experience! If it's fake it's still pretty cool!

Have a great day everybody!

008.JPG(The questionable one is on the right)

003.JPG(The questionable one is on the left, uncleaned)

007.JPG(The questionable one is on the right)

Or more properly copper nickel cents. The composition was changed part way through 1864 to the more familiar bronze.

Upvote 0
People talked of fattys but never really knew what they were. So all IH's will look like this pre-1864? (Or partially though 64?)
Im off to check out the videos, thank you all!

Upvote 0
Yes, the thick ones were made 1859-1863. Then bronze after that. It's also the reason for the strange color. I wouldn't clean that one. perhaps not even water. At most lightly rub your finger over the high points in the design to bring them out with the natural oils on your hands. Cleaning done. :)

Cheers,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
I just found out what they are too by reading your post Bev. I always wondered what a fatty was and was going to ask someone soon. I checked in my coin list and the fatties weighed 4.67 grams when new and the newer/thinner ones weighed 3.11 grams. You can always learn something new everyday is truly true. Thanks, Dug

Upvote 0
It was a good post then! I can admit they arent my favorite. Youve got great wine near you!

Upvote 0
Ah yes, the wines. Mmmmmmmmm :goldtrophy: I haven't drank in many years now; but I loved our NY wines. Dr Konstantine Frank and his reislings, Bully Hill, Heron Hill and Zinfandel wine, Oh my! Oh, I almost forgot, I love finding Indian Heads. I've only found 3 in my short time of metal detecting; but I know some of them can be worth much more than some silver coins. I always tell home owners when I ask for permission, "Heck, I'd be happy just finding one old Indian Head penny".:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back