Counterfeit 1876 Trade Dollar???

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Hi Everyone! I know I haven't posted for a while, that's because we've had a really snowy and cold winter so far here in Colorado (we're about to break the record for most cumulative days with snow on the ground), plus I'm back in school again and it's just been busy, savvy?

OK so here's where the story starts. I was shopping around on Ebay and discovered an auction for an 1876 Trade Dollar for the buy-it-now price of GBP $2.50, which translates roughly into five dollars and change. Hmmm, I thought, could be either someone who really doesn't know what they have, or it's a fake. Well I thought the risk would be worth it, so I bought it and now I have it in hand and I can't tell whether or not it's a fake. The auction location was from Beijing, China, which raised a red flag since I know that alot of pirated and counterfeit merchandise comes out of China, but if you know anything about Trade Dollars you know that they were minted and created for the express purpose of being shipped to the Orient to compete with other foriegn currency at the time. Many Trade Dollars have Chineese figures stamped on them, called "chop marks", but the coin is worth more if it's free of those marks. Anyway, when I recieved the coin, it turns out to be an 1876-CC dollar; the CC stands for Carson City, which is the most sought after and rare mintmark for coins of that day. The person selling the coin didn't mention that it had a CC mintmark, nor did he show a picture of the reverse of the coin, so it was a surprise to me, and it also adds credence to the idea that the person selling it didn't know what he had.

Alright so I went to my local coin dealer to see what he would say, and when I told him I got the coin from China, he didn't even look at the coin but said with certainty, "it's a fake". Needless to say I was not satisfied with that answer, because just because a coin comes from China doesn't automatically make it fake, especially the Trade Dollars. So I'm going to take it to another dealer and see what he thinks. If I don't get an honest answer I'll think about having it professionally graded. Does anyone here have any ideas to how I might be able to figure this out?

Attachments

• Trade Dollar 009.jpg
    Trade Dollar 009.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Trade Dollar 007.jpg
    Trade Dollar 007.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,159
You might try checking out CoinFacts.com and look at trade dollars . They should also have the weight of the coin listed, and you should weigh yours to see if it matches.

Upvote 0
Mad: I have always heard that 90% of all Trade Dollars sold on Ebay were Counterfeit! Yours just reinforces that statement!

Sorry, HH Joe

Upvote 0
texan connection said:
All I know is that is certainly Not you standard seated liberty pose

Because it is a Trade Dollar made by the US mint to use overseas.

Check out CoinFacts.com, Trade Dollar in the dollars section.

Upvote 0
IM002406.jpg

yes, it's a FAKE !

see all these coins, they're all FAKES made in China, I got them in chinatown, San Francisco, they all cost about $3.00 each or less if you bargain

I knew they were fakes, but I just wanted them for display, they gave me a good deal since I bought several.

Upvote 0
If it's silver & your Postage Dodsn't kill you, You at least made out.

Here are some Real ones to Compair.

Although the Leaves on the Branch she's holding look different
in the Pics, it may be due to wear

THE NEXT DEALER you ask, Don't say where you got it.
You say China They will say Fake, even IF a real one slipped
through.

Attachments

• indexobv.jpg
    indexobv.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 03674154-real.jpg
    03674154-real.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 894
Upvote 0
Reverse

The reeding along the edges are different also but yours looks worn

Attachments

• indexrev.jpg
    indexrev.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 871
  • 03674154-reaal.jpg
    03674154-reaal.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 845
Upvote 0
Interesting point of order might be that since the trade dollar was never a legal U.S. coin it's not tevhnically a counterfeit (and so you can own it legally). The treasury has the authority to seize all counterfit coins and bills (nit that they go around invoking that privledge very often).

Heck, I'd pay that much for a counterfeit even if it's pewter or German silver just for the fun of it. Pitty the guy who dumps a wad on one.

Upvote 0
Angelo said:
This link explains the difference between fake and authentic.

http://www.silver-coins.org/1876_trade_dollar.html

Tony

Thanks for the link! I looked at it and the one thing that stood out to me was where it compared the stars on the authentic versus the stars on the fake. It mentions that the stars on the fake are usually lacking details or look flatter than an authentic coin. I compared my coin and the stars look detailed enough to be real. I also looked around ebay for others and I've found two that I would call counterfeit due to the bad details, both of them are over $300 already! Hmm. I'll keep everyone posted as I find out more.

Upvote 0
I just weighed one of my fake 1876 Trade Dollars and it weighs - 19.2 grams

so it will feel a little "lighter" compared to an authentic 1871 Trade Dollar

the authentic coin should weigh about 27 grams

Upvote 0
Reality check. China and Ebay is not a good sign. You just put $5 into a guys pocket where they are making .50 cents an hour. Not a bad days take. Good conversation piece though.

Upvote 0
As most have stated it's probably fake. It should weigh 27.2 grams. Also on liberty's hand that is holding the olive branch there should be 4 fingers wrapped around the stick, and on the reverse there should be no berry under the eagles right talon. if there are 3 fingers and a berry that's the earlier dies of the coin and indicate it's a fake.

Upvote 0
I have a whole box full of these coins that i purchased off of Ebay.
They are ALL FAKE!!
I recieved info from a collecting club in Florida,and was told that at coin shows over there they have them by the bucket fulls.
The easiest way to tell is to weigh it.A trade doller should weigh 27.22 grams and mine all were around 25.Even worn they should not weigh 2 grams less.
Hope this helps..
Teverly

Upvote 0
I have a good solution. Just run it under your detector. If it reads a broken signal, then there's your answer most likely.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back