Could this button be the only one in existence? Can you identify it?

Edward Lopez

Nov 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, again. My last visit here was on 02-15-19. Before that it was around 2008-2009. But I was a solid contributor and a happy camper communicating with my online friends. I am now 82 and no longer able to enjoy my favorite hobby because last year the feces hit the fan and I was standing in front of it! In rapid succession, last year I was diagnosed with Cerebellar Ataxia, Dropped Head Syndrome and mild Scoliosis. Now, I'm restricted to my sofa and if I have to go out, only to medical appointments, I have to use a rollator. But metal detecting is a daily mental activity so I come here to see how you guys and gals are doing. Sometime in my metal detecting days I found some civil war artifacts. Along with them I found a button that I could not identify and the experts I asked were baffled.

Since I regularly bring out some of my kept finds that I don't want to part with and remember how much fun I had finding them, I started to try to identify my button and one of my Google searches brought me here to see the button a member had found. It was an old post but it gave me the impetus to try here since there are a lot of new, younger members that one of you could finally know about my button. Its condition is amazing. There are tons of similar buttons from the French Napoleonic war, U.S. Army this 'n' that, etc., but none of the thousand of buttons on the web have what my button has: besides the crossed cannon and the fire pot/flaming bomb, also known as the shell and flame, my button has what no other button: crossed swords. That's what makes it a mystery button.

Can any of you identify this possibly one of a kind (tongue in cheek) button? Value and links will be appreciated.

As to my photos. Me in the 1980s with my Teknetics. Some of the jewelry and some of the silver coins I, all in beautiful conaidition. Ahd the button. Thanks all. I'll return for possible replies.

Teknetics Long Beach (Judy).JPG
1st 6 months.JPG
Representative.JPG
IMG_8484.JPG
IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_8489.JPG

That is a nice pile of treasure you have there!

Upvote 0
I feel for you. I have become one with the couch this year due to the covid and bad heat this summer. Last time out was the first of July but I'll start up again soon.

I concur this is a modern blazer button, non military. The two air holes in the back were used a long time ago for hot gasses to escape when the buttons were made, but there are mixed technolgoies used on the manufacture of the button. That general style of button was invented in the late 1830's, just before the time of the American Civil War. It's a two piece with shank. The holes reflect an earlier or inferior technology, which was not used on the two piece style with shank. I think it was made in the far east, China, Singapore, etc. for the modern fabrics trade. Final use would be for a modern blazer.

Upvote 0
I feel for you. I have become one with the couch this year due to the covid and bad heat this summer. Last time out was the first of July but I'll start up again soon.

I concur this is a modern blazer button, non military. The two air holes in the back were used a long time ago for hot gasses to escape when the buttons were made, but there are mixed technolgoies used on the manufacture of the button. That general style of button was invented in the late 1830's, just before the time of the American Civil War. It's a two piece with shank. The holes reflect an earlier or inferior technology, which was not used on the two piece style with shank. I think it was made in the far east, China, Singapore, etc. for the modern fabrics trade. Final use would be for a modern blazer.

I appreciate your reply with info (and all of you who also replied) but your reply made me think that if my button is modern, why doesn't an image or any info appear anywhere on the web? Surely, if it's modern then hundreds or thousands must have been made and more than my copy should have been dug up. Or an image of such should be found somewhere on the web, at least on Google Images. But not a single photo can be found or any reference to this button with the usual crossed cannons, the flaming bomb PLUS crossed swords. So, until I find another one, mine is the only one that exists making it super rare. But, obviously, not THAT valuable. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back