could this bird sculpture be North American Indian origin?

coachkev

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a secluded beach along Northern CA coastline. It is a very rough, exposed rocky beach so was pure luck find it amongst the rocks in the surf zone. Nearby was a large tooth that I had just found (I'll post that later to see if anybody knows what it is). So, when I saw another little white bone color sticking out of the sand/rocks as the waves receded, I thought it was another tooth. Pulled it out and discovered this intricately carved little bird!

Any ideas what culture/who might have carved this? And, why the hole in center? What was it used for? It seems to be some type of bone material. And, it is hollow all the way through.

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpeg
    IMG_1843.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    822.6 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 5
You need to add pictures.

Looks like something I have seen with macrame for hanging plants in a macrame hanger the macrame went through the hole. Look up on Google Macrame bird beads they have some large ones with big holes through them. It is to make it look like the bird is hanging on to the macrame My Mom used to have owls like that on some macrame plant hangers she had.

Last edited:
Looks like something I have seen with macrame for hanging plants in a macrame hanger the macrame went through the hole. Look up on Google Macrame bird beads they have some large ones with big holes through them. It is to make it look like the bird is hanging on to the macrame My Mom used to have owls like that on some macrame plant hangers she had.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do remember those plant hangers and beads. My mom had them at one time as well. Much bigger hole than any I'd seen or can find on google search. Also, they were always ceramic and this is definitely not ceramic. Good thought, though.

I don’t get a native feel either but still very cool. what about that tooth?
thanks. I didn't feel strongly native but on another forum somebody suggested post here in case. Here are pics of the tooth I found nearby..

Attachments

• DSC03828.JPG
    DSC03828.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 861590BE-01E3-4065-B8AA-D44D7C4EAF49.jpeg
    861590BE-01E3-4065-B8AA-D44D7C4EAF49.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 45149598-131D-4CF4-913E-E73AEB356272.jpeg
    45149598-131D-4CF4-913E-E73AEB356272.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread