Could this be a Real Higley Copper ?? Found in old

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old coin the other day in an old coin collection full of colonial coins everything in the box was real.But this one I just don't know if it's real or not it weighs 9.7 g from the research I've done Higley coppers are so rare I'm wondering if it's a fake ?
IMG_0010.JPGIMG_0011.JPGIMG_0012.JPGIMG_0014.JPGIMG_0015.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0021.JPGIMG_0022.JPGIMG_0013.JPGIMG_0117.JPGIMG_0117.JPGIMG_0112.JPG

Last edited:
Number one just because someone has a coin shop don't mean that They know! and I've known people who own Coin shops who were not that educated. Number two if this is a $200,000 - $300,000 coin I'm not just going to send it in the mail. I have never took a picture of her shoulders going to anyone since I've had this is the first time if I don't get anywhere here I may drive out to NGC OR PCGS .

Thanks for your worthless opinion anyways I think I smell a little jealousy. This website is meant for this purpose discussion to discuss just what were discussing plain and simple you don't like it don't comment on it .

LOL I was going to Agree with & Like this post till you took an attitude in the 2nd Half of it :(
Yes it appears you are New Here, So I'll let it slide this time,
But in the Future remember you catch more Friendly responses & Helpfull members by Giving Respect.
even if you Disagree.

By the way, I'm moving this to what is it, as that is the Correct place for finding answers.

Also your title asks,
[h=2]"Could this be a Real Higley Copper ??"[/h]it does not say it is one for sure.
[h=2]I would say that invites all opinions[/h]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Number one just because someone has a coin shop don't mean that They know! and I've known people who own Coin shops who were not that educated. Number two if this is a $200,000 - $300,000 coin I'm not just going to send it in the mail. I have never took a picture of her shoulders going to anyone since I've had this is the first time if I don't get anywhere here I may drive out to NGC OR PCGS .

Thanks for your worthless opinion anyways I think I smell a little jealousy. This website is meant for this purpose discussion to discuss just what were discussing plain and simple you don't like it don't comment on it .

Unfortunately most coin shops don't know the first thing about early coins. You have to find the right one and that's tough. The problem is that they just don't see this stuff. I won't continue repeating g myself about who I would send clear pictures too but I have had him give me great feedback about my pine tree shilling and a few others. Bill D had the same guy look at his Lord Baltimore. That's what he specializes in. Colonial coinage is his thing. I'd love to know if this is legit or not.

Upvote 0
Well fellas, here's the scoop. I sent a photo of the coin to Dan Friedus, the foremost authority on Higley Coppers. I've known Dan for about thirty years. You can read his research here on Higleys as part of the Coinage of Americas Conference at the American Numismatic Society, founded it 1858. ANS Digital Library: Token

Very simple.

higley becker.JPG

And a little follow up.

higley becker original.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wowser! You had some of Tnets most serious "big gunners" check out your coin. Sorry to hear it's not real, but I think it's still totally rad. It was important enough of a coin to be copied, and it looks like a decent one.

Upvote 0
Wowser! You had some of Tnets most serious "big gunners" check out your coin. Sorry to hear it's not real, but I think it's still totally rad. It was important enough of a coin to be copied, and it looks like a decent one.

Just got back from Sam Sloat Coins
West Port Ct
There was three gentleman there that looked at it what amazing day today was! Wow 😱
I just confirmed it is an original .
They said that it may be one of the only specimens of its kind with the grade!!!
👍🏼😃🤑🤑😱😁 I'm gonna get it graded now I may either drive to NGC or PCGS Then send it to heritage action in New York . I'm in Connecticut so I'll drive There also. I'm not letting this baby leave my side . The coin shop Said they can have It graded for me but I prefer to deal with the situation myself .Not that I don't trust Sam Sloat coins they do come highly recommended.Once again thanks everyone for your help I'll update as to what it sells for an auction soon.

Upvote 0
West Port Ct
There was three gentleman there that looked at it what amazing day today was! Wow ��
They said that it may be one of the only specimens of its kind with the grade!!!
�������������� I'm gonna get it graded now I may either drive to NGC or PCGS Then send it to heritage action in New York . I'm in Connecticut so I'll drive There also. I'm not letting this baby leave my side . The coin shop Said they can have It graded for me but I prefer to deal with the situation myself .Not that I don't trust Sam Sloat coins they do come highly recommended.Once again thanks everyone for your help I'll update as to what it sells for an auction soon.

Hope it works out for you, but a coin shop that doesn't list a single colonial for sale probably isn't the best resource. They may know what they are talking about. Do what you got to do to satisfy yourself, but don't spend a fortune on it till you get better confirmation. And if you send it to a auction house, you won't be telling us what it sold for soon, generally you can expect 4-6 months.

Upvote 0
West Port Ct
There was three gentleman there that looked at it what amazing day today was! Wow [emoji33]
[emoji106]🏼[emoji2]🤑🤑[emoji33][emoji16] I'm gonna get it graded now I may either drive to NGC or PCGS Then send it to heritage action in New York . I'm in Connecticut so I'll drive There also. I'm not letting this baby leave my side . The coin shop Said they can have It graded for me but I prefer to deal with the situation myself .Not that I don't trust Sam Sloat coins they do come highly recommended.Once again thanks everyone for your help I'll update as to what it sells for an auction soon.

I can vouch for the coin expertise of Don in Brewster, he is known as a colonial coin expert and a US coin expert. He has also provided a opinion from expert Dan Friedus. It's too bad they both believe it is a counterfeit copy. Nevertheless I don't believe Heritage auction house or any reputable auction will listed as genuine without it being certified by PCGS.

I wish you the best of luck hope things work out in your favor.

Upvote 0
Don in Brewster, spent a tremendous amount of time studying Colonial Coins. He is well respected in the world of Numismatics.
It's sad to see this post go south because of different opinions.
This is not a dug coin so the good news is the grade will in all probability not include an "Environmental Damage" tag.
If that coin gets authenticated and graded by PCGS, then you will be looking at Gospel. I hope that "Higley" turns out to be the real deal. I'm sure even Don in Brewster would be willing to wear a hat that says "LET'S MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN",, if he is wrong.
Let's keep it civil and wait on the professional grading outcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do as you please, but it is apparent from the photos that it is a fake. Don in Brewster knows his stuff, and Dan Friedus is the foremost Higley expert in the world, no exaggeration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My friend I don't doubt these guys know their stuff but even the best can be wrong at times many professional doctors with long careers have missed diagnosed patients .

Upvote 0
But if Dan or Don were to physically see the coin and hold it I'm sure they can come to a more definitive answer but as for looking at the photo they have their opinion.

Upvote 0
I value their opinion I value everyone's opinion on here,but people who say this is not a genuine higley, ok, explain to me why you come to that conclusion,even if someone on here thinks it is a genuine Higley explain to me how you you come to that conclusion. I know no one can give a definitive answer as to real or not real but even if you have a 99% gut feeling what brings you to that conclusion of a yes or no , what characteristics of the coin in question brings you to your conclusion.

Upvote 0
I value their opinion I value everyone's opinion on here,but people who say this is not a genuine higley, ok, explain to me why you come to that conclusion,even if someone on here thinks it is a genuine Higley explain to me how you you come to that conclusion. I know no one can give a definitive answer as to real or not real but even if you have a 99% gut feeling what brings you to that conclusion of a yes or no , what characteristics of the coin in question brings you to your conclusion.

IMG_0124.JPGIMG_0126.JPGIMG_0127.JPGIMG_0128.JPGIMG_0129.JPGIMG_0130.JPGIMG_0130.JPGIMG_0130.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_0132.JPG

Upvote 0
This is getting to be unreal. You claim you might have maybe a 200 thousand to 300 thousand dollar coin and it isn't in any kind of protective cover and you are handling it like that? A coin shop says it is real and you yourself said you know coin shops don't have knowledgeable people. But you know this one does for some reason. Why would you be getting oil from your hands on a coin that you were told was real?

FACT

ABSOLUTELY NOBODY can tell something is 100% real by pictures. IMPOSSIBLE, especially in this situation. You want more opinions when you have EXPERTS on here in colonial coins like Don and Dan verify it is a copy? Treasurenet is a place of help and a wealth of information. You will not get anyone to doubt Don that I know of. I know his background and so do many others on here.

You found out it was real. They saw it in person. So you don't need any more opinions. Get it slabbed, show us the listing for the auction and everyone will be excited to see what it goes for. But STOP handling it. Any respectable coin shop would have told you that.

Now that is NOT a worthless opinion like you thought my last one was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is getting to be unreal. You claim you might have maybe a 200 thousand to 300 thousand dollar coin and it isn't in any kind of protective cover and you are handling it like that? A coin shop says it is real and you yourself said you know coin shops don't have knowledgeable people. But you know this one does for some reason. Why would you be getting oil from your hands on a coin that you were told was real?

FACT

ABSOLUTELY NOBODY can tell something is 100% real by pictures. IMPOSSIBLE, especially in this situation. You want more opinions when you have EXPERTS on here in colonial coins like Don and Dan verify it is a copy? Treasurenet is a place of help and a wealth of information. You will not get anyone to doubt Don that I know of. I know his background and so do many others on here.

You found out it was real. They saw it in person. So you don't need any more opinions. Get it slabbed, show us the listing for the auction and everyone will be excited to see what it goes for. But STOP handling it. Any respectable coin shop would have told you that.

Now that is NOT a worthless opinion like you thought my last one was.

I was going to say dear god stop touching it already! glad I read to the end before posting. Good luck with the coin and I'm excited to see how this one turns out.

Upvote 0
If you don't have it, it's hard to explain, but here goes. When someone like myself who has coin collected since he was 9 years old & handles over 1500 dug coins every year, & I continue to spend £1000's on coins from only pictures. You can immediately tell its a fake/copy. I have also handled many types of fakes & copies but I've never been caught out.
However, the most oblivious give-a-way is the lack of crispness to the design that should be their if it were a proper hammered/stamped/striked coin.
I've spotted hundreds of fakes on here & I've yet to get it wrong, so lets see if you break my 100% record.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was waiting for the wire brush/wire wheel pics before I chimed in...im definitely no colonial coin expert, or an expert on ANY coin series...however, I do know enough to take very seriously the opinions and comments from the people who are the experts...Ddf

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back