Could this be a grave marker. UP DATE

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this marker on privet property. There was no indication of a cemetery ever being there.
But, to me it looks like a grave marker.

It was @ about one foot down, and upside down.

The writing on it says: SCHIMITTE After cleaning it a little. This is what it has on it SCHMITTE & BRO.
- MARKERS -
708.72 MAIN ST. CINCINNATT
MAKERS
HAINSIT*CINC

I have permission to be on all properties that I relic hunt.

Clayton

Attachments

• Grave marker 004.JPG
    Grave marker 004.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 481
Re: Could this be a grave marker.

I believe this is a serial number tag that came from farm equipment,made by New Holland. This also would explain why it was found so deep.

Nova Treasure

Upvote 0
Schmitter Brothers....

Here's the only article I can find right now....printed in The Athens Messenger, Athens, Ohio on 8 September 1926.
Annmarie

Attachments

• scmitter brothers 1a.jpg
    scmitter brothers 1a.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0
Hello everybody...i too was wondering on demensions&what it's made of.i have a small collection of sidewalk markers indicating who did the concrete work(becomming a thing of the past around here!)the one i posted is 6in.long&2 3/4in.iop/bottom and made of bronze...maybe this CO.(on found plate)did similar markers and this is an advertising item for them to indicate that?,just my thoughts...
except for the one shown my others have anchors attached to back for securing into drying concrete.see if it looks like something is missing on back,Thanks for listening!,Sorry just remembered the holes! still...

Attachments

• 2 718.jpg
    2 718.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 2 717.jpg
    2 717.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 354
  • 2 719.jpg
    2 719.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
Fast_Dave, It's @ 4''1/2 X 1'' 3/4 It's heavy steel.... tokenhead here are the demensions.

Ralphw, I was able to make out what is on it. But, that was a good idea.
And, the letters are raised.

Ron and Ann, That's an interesting article. To look in to.

Clayton

Upvote 0
Roadquest said:
Fast_Dave, It's @ 4''1/2 X 1'' 3/4 It's heavy steel.... tokenhead here are the demensions.

Ralphw, I was able to make out what is on it. But, that was a good idea.
And, the letters are raised.

Ron and Ann, That's an interesting article. To look in to.

Clayton
Little smaller then my suggestion,but ya never know

Upvote 0
also found this but its spelled diferent

JACOB FREY, secretary and treasurer of the Schmidt Brothers Brewing Company, was born in Cincinnati, December 12, 1853, son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Hess) Frey, natives of Germany who came to Cincinnati in 1845; here the father died in 1854 at the age of thirty-five, the mother June 11, 1893, aged seventy. They were the parents of five children, two of whom are living: Frederick and Jacob. The last named attended the public schools of Cincinnati, and graduated from Gundry's Commercial College in 1868. He was an apprentice under his step-father, August Goetze, and a workman in the furniture factory of Mitchell, Rammelsberg & Company, until 1875, when he learned the brewing business at the Lachman Brewery. In 1876 he entered the employ of Schmidt & Brothers as bookkeeper, and upon the organization of the present company, in 1891, was elected secretary and treasurer, which position he has since held. This company manufactures thirty-five thousand barrels of beer annually, ranking among the largest of its class in the city.

Upvote 0
just-geese said:
Ralphw said:
also found this but its spelled diferent

JACOB FREY, secretary and treasurer of the Schmidt Brothers Brewing Company, was born in Cincinnati, December 12, 1853, son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Hess) Frey, natives of Germany who came to Cincinnati in 1845; here the father died in 1854 at the age of thirty-five, the mother June 11, 1893, aged seventy. They were the parents of five children, two of whom are living: Frederick and Jacob. The last named attended the public schools of Cincinnati, and graduated from Gundry's Commercial College in 1868. He was an apprentice under his step-father, August Goetze, and a workman in the furniture factory of Mitchell, Rammelsberg & Company, until 1875, when he learned the brewing business at the Lachman Brewery. In 1876 he entered the employ of Schmidt & Brothers as bookkeeper, and upon the organization of the present company, in 1891, was elected secretary and treasurer, which position he has since held. This company manufactures thirty-five thousand barrels of beer annually, ranking among the largest of its class in the city.

Interesting Ralph, I told Clayton in a PM I thought because of the screw holes I thought it was furniture... Now I wonder if it's a beer barrel tag
Don
outstanding quick researh there Raphw!,just-geese i'll be in touch soon...keg tag(?)...attached to equipment in brewery?,on a delivery wagon?? office door inside brewery???

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back