corpra badge found s.e. mich

arthur mac

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
book 002.jpgbook 001.jpgI found this badge ,pewter, brass plated then was gold guilded. gold is all just about gone,hexagon shape with round boss in center surrounded by a wreath of heather,extending outward are 6 broad arrows with heather flowers spaced between each one, only 2 full flowers remain others are snapped in half.this badge is a fine piece as i have yet to see one like it in publication. measurement is 1.75 inches corner to corner,hexagon flat sides are between 7/8 and 15/16, the badge rises out giving a 3 dimension apearance.This is British military. what I need to know if these were distinct to certain regiments or were a general badge wore by specific rank ,many British regiments were stationed all through out the old northwest such as the 41st ,47th, kings 8th, Rodgers rangers , Butlers rangers,Royal Newfoundland Fencibles,60th,100 th a foot prince of wales regiment, ect......... have more to show, stay tuned just getting started. would be totally surprised if anyone has any info on this, thanks.this badge was found right near a kings 8th and a butlers ranger button.This time frame should be between 1760 to 1814.Broad arrows signify British military.Many Scots were pressed into service or they just wanted to leave the crowded highlands for a better life ,thats where the heather comes .

Last edited:
would like to post ,telling me the file is to big, wont upload picture ,I don't understand.

Upvote 0
Right click your photo,
click edit
Then at top click images
Then click stretch / skew
Then change Both 100s to 50% and save .
Your photo is now 50% smaller but can be opened to full size after posting.

Upvote 0
Looks like a polygonal rosette or harness mount to me.

Upvote 0
Arthur,
A small historical point I'll make in regard to your statement: "Many Scots were pressed into service or they just wanted to leave the crowded highlands for a better life ,thats where the heather comes ." In fact,during the period you refer to (1760-1814) the Highlands were not crowed; most inhabitants were farmers who scratched out a living from the terrible soil. As to wanting to leave for a better like, most were quite content--as they had been for hundreds of years. The 'trigger' event was the "Highland Clearances", a chapter in history most non-HIghlanders would like to forget--wherein the farmers ('crofters') were forced from their homes by the landlords to clear the land for sheep; a much more profitable choice for the landlords. Some crofters were forced to the seacoast and had to make a living from the sea. Others fled to the cities in the south or overseas and many refused to leave--only to be burned out of their homes--as were my kin from the Strathnaver valley. Yes, those who left, of course, wanted a better life--but the choice was, in most cases, not theirs--but the landowners demand--at any cost.
Don MacKay, aye

Upvote 0
hey brother, ,didn,t mean any disrespect my cousin married a MacKay FROM FORESHOE ,N.S. ,MY GREAT GRAND DAD THE 1ST WAS BORN ON SOUTH UIST IN THE SOUTHERN HEBRIDES, ORIGINAL SETTLEMENT OF THE MACDONALDS,MY SPELLING ISN,T THE BEST.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back