Cornfield finds still pouring in.....

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
I hit a new site this morning and fulfilled my prophesy that we were going to get a shield nickel if we kept pulling in the old coins. I stepped out of the car and into the field and hit the first one within two minutes. It was not lying quite flat, and it had one edge exposed above the dirt. It was about half in/half out of the ground. First coin I've ever found like that. 15 minutes later I hit another one. They were literally the first two signals I dug in this new field. I had high hopes then, but I hunted another 3 hours and didn't get anything else. When I left there, I called my brother and asked him if he wanted to go with me to the site where I got four large cents Saturday. He jumped at the chance. I showed him where the ground was that I had not yet covered and we went at it. It was not long before I popped another largie, the 5th from that site. It was over an hour before Jerry finally got a coin. It was a nice 1868 IHP. About half an hour later he got another one, not just another IHP, but another 1868. "That's a first," he said. Both were in very nice shape. I told him 1868 was a good date, especially when they are in nice condition. One of them is VF and the other XF. Comparing them to what is on ebay convinced him the VF was worth $50 and the XF a $100. He was happy to have blown me away today.

Here are my finds. The largie is an 182? (can't get the last digit). It's really toasted. In the photo it looks like it might be 1822 or maybe 28. I thought 22 for a while when I was working on the date, but I still can't be sure. At least the shield nickels have clear dates. The 1873 is a scarcer date.

Stamp2.jpg

Here are Jerry's two 1868 IHPs.

Jerrys.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 38
GREAT FINDS :) Thanks for sharing with us :)

I hit a new site this morning and fulfilled my prophesy that we were going to get a shield nickel if we kept pulling in the old coins. I stepped out of the car and into the field and hit the first one within two minutes. It was not lying quite flat, and it had one edge exposed above the dirt. It was about half in/half out of the ground. First coin I've ever found like that. 15 minutes later I hit another one. They were literally the first two signals I dug in this new field. I had high hopes then, but I hunted another 3 hours and didn't get anything else. When I left there, I called my brother and asked him if he wanted to go with me to the site where I got four large cents Saturday. He jumped at the chance. I showed him where the ground was that I had not yet covered and we went at it. It was not long before I popped another largie, the 5th from that site. It was over an hour before Jerry finally got a coin. It was a nice 1868 IHP. About half an hour later he got another one, not just another IHP, but another 1868. "That's a first," he said. Both were in very nice shape. I told him 1868 was a good date, especially when they are in nice condition. One of them is VF and the other XF. Comparing them to what is on ebay convinced him the VF was worth $50 and the XF a $100. He was happy to have blown me away today.

Here are my finds. The largie is an 182? (can't get the last digit). It's really toasted. In the photo it looks like it might be 1822 or maybe 28. I thought 22 for a while when I was working on the date, but I still can't be sure. At least the shield nickels have clear dates. The 1873 is a scarcer date.

View attachment 2151431

View attachment 2151432
Great recoveries! Would love to find a shield nickel!

View attachment 2151431

View attachment 2151432
great saves and the IHPs cleaned up nicely, wtg

Nice going on the recoveries.
Strange how that happens, get a couple of good keepers, then nothing.
The first keeper curse some have said.
I often think, I might as well go home now-that never has happened.
Though I should have many times thinking back.

View attachment 2151431

View attachment 2151432
I see your coin list... I have most of them but not all ... the Flying Eagles are my favorite !!
Any Silver Dollars ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back