copper vessel

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
copper pot 002.jpgcopper pot 004.jpgcopper pot 007.jpg Copper pot found on site with assorted gun parts, bangles, tinklers , conch shell hart beads, bells etc.

trade 013.jpg

Upvote 0
wow, that is a great find!!!! in my area, i can't find the whole kettle, just tons of pieces, big and small (guess the indians cut them up and used for tinklers, jewelry, points, etc. I have found three handles (see pic of 2 of them). cool stuff you got there:)

Attachments

• DSCN5791.JPG
    DSCN5791.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 130
Awesome finds, I'm surprised they hadn't started cutting up the Kettle. I have a bag full of copper kettle pieces that had been cut up. Was it buried deep?

2 Feet deep. I had just bought a new T-2 and thought it was freakin out.

Hey, measure the rivets center to center, lets see if they might be related. My pot rivets are 1 9/16 " apart. My pot salesman most likely came from the east coast. Spanish, English, or French. I have small bell pieces that look exactly like the piece I see to the left of the buckle. How about buttons?

The kettle lug on the right is from the 1760s-70s. I'm unsure about the other one. Reminds me of some from the 1850s, but those have a slightly different shape.

Nice finds!

LRH

Here are some buttons I found...the single button in the second pic, it has a broken hook on the back, I guess It's a button?

ForumRunner_20131113_220312.png

ForumRunner_20131113_220354.png

dasabighole......what is the long curved item under the beads in your picture? i have one similiar to that and don't have a clue what it is.

It looks like a rod of native copper to me. one end has been struck and flattened. It is copper though not brass. As to what it is for, I dont have a clue. " Yet"

I believe that looks archaic. Any copper that is thick and irregular shoulb be. Pound that area and look for depressions close to a hill by a river if there is one. Sweet find! Creek leading to river is best. 15 - 20 feet above the river.

Definitely possible. Maybe on the hill top there are some Clovis points waiting for you. :). It still looks like part of a broken crescent from the shape.. Who knows really. Still an awesome find!

The two beads on top are copper, they are about the same diameter as the rod. under them is a clay bead, a cobalt faceted bead, and a blue bead, I also have a white glass bead somewhere. The site is where a creek runs into the river and there are hills behind, but I found nothing metal on them, just a few broken points.

The beads do look archaic as well. Is there any path along hill side. I follow that and look for the paths to the river along there. The hill may be steep as it was probably underwater then. Just a tip which works for me. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back