McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

Attachments

• IMG_8204 2.jpg
    IMG_8204 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I found this chunk of bent copper with the word Texas on it. Any idea what it was used for? Maybe a horse saddle ornament? It weighs 1.90 ounces.

Thanks for looking.
Need a photo a little less close.
Measurements would help.
Interesting recovery

Upvote 3
Having "Texas" stamped on something is a bit like having "Made in China" stamped on it -- they stamp the word or the state outline on just about everything. Any context? Where was it found (and don't say "Texas')? What other things were found with or near it?

Upvote 4
I found this a while ago and I do't remember where I found it, but it was certainly in Texas. The Texas label is pressed into the copper and it shows the word Texas pressed in one side and the word in reverse Texas on the back side. Short of banging it out straight with a hammer, I'll choose to keep it bent for a while.

As far as taking pics from different, I don't have the stage to hold it. My pic here was a lucky shot since I held it in one hand and my iPhone in the other hand and grabbed the best pic. It took a few tries before I got this pic. The Washington quarter in the pic was for sizing, and as stated, the thing weighs 1.9 oz. It is unique.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
As far as taking pics from different, I don't have the stage to hold it.
Speaking as the world's worst photographer, I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that.

"Stage to hold it"? :icon_scratch: A table, tray, tailgate, log, the ground.... If the angle isn't right, brace the item with a rock/stone/stick, or something from your trash bag.

It took a few tries before I got this pic.
It is unique.
It always takes me multiple tries; I'm a lousy photog. I was better with a 35mm SLR & Kodachrome/Kodacolor (Heavy sigh 😔).

That remains to be seen. 😉

Upvote 2
take the relic outdoors and take pics in the sun. a wood deck rail makes a good stage for such pics.
don't try to bend it back , if it's worth the effort pay to have it done.
I've found if I want to straighten something copper it can be done seconds after it's dug up. if you wait a few minutes the relic will harden and not straighten. this method is for average finds not to be done on valuable military relics.

Upvote 3
Need better photos

Upvote 2
I found this a while ago and I do't remember where I found it, but it was certainly in Texas.
I meant more like what kind of site. Was it a home site? A sidewalk tear out? A school? A farmstead? A house in the city? A stage stop? etc.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back