copper sheet between palm trees?

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
found a copper sheet between some palm trees today at an old miami park. i dug part of it up and it seemed like very thin copper, maybe the thickness of a soda can. park is right on the water. i'm thinking maybe leftovers from an old boat repair but its kinda odd to leave the stuff just laying there till it buried. it appears to be about 8-10" wide and maybe just under 2 feet long according to my pinpointing. i didnt dig the whole thing up.

any ideas?

could be 1800's era copper sheathing (hull covering) commonly used in the old days to protect the hulls of vessels from wood boring worms that live in floridas waters-- Ivan

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
could be 1800's era copper sheathing (hull covering) commonly used in the old days to protect the hulls of vessels from wood boring worms that live in floridas waters-- Ivan

i was thinking thats what it would be but kinda stumped as to why they left it there.. unless there was a wooden boat to go along with it at one point and the boat rotted away?!? it was under a couple of inches of soil.

Upvote 0
possibly wrecked ship or the ship might have been beached for hull cleaning and lost it then

Upvote 0
if someone planted the trees ,they sometimes put metal sheets near the roots so they dont grow like crazy, but i think thats only for bamboo trees

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back