🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Copper plate/hexagon with punched/hammered design

arbuckle

Mar 24, 2024
Found near Philadelphia at a home site that I can trace as far back as 1843, but likely older as the next oldest map is 1808. The site is now forested and overgrown, only a foundation, cellar and well remain. Access is via a trail which is part of the road I’ve been hunting and which I can trace to 1750s maps. I’ve found bottles dated up to 1927, large trash dump area with ceramics and glass and believe the building was extant until between 1958-1965 where the aerial shows significant change and growth at the site. Only a few coins so far at this site, 1913 and 1919 wheat and a 1903 Barber Quarter. Other odds and ends I haven’t quite identified, but most things indicate early 1900s.

Approximately 5”x5.5”, looks hand made. Nice chunk of copper though.

Attachments

• IMG_8722.jpeg
    IMG_8722.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8723.jpeg
    IMG_8723.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hi, cool find. Help us help you. Tell us as much as you can about where it was found, what was found nearby, the history of the area, etc.

Upvote 1
Thanks for the extra detail. Given its size and scalloped edges I wonder if it is a lid for a candy bowl or similar. The design at 12 o'clock kind of looks like a wrapped piece of candy.

Sounds like a good area to detect. Hope there isn't too much honeysuckle/undergrowth.

Upvote 2
Thanks for the extra detail. Given its size and scalloped edges I wonder if it is a lid for a candy bowl or similar. The design at 12 o'clock kind of looks like a wrapped piece of candy.

Sounds like a good area to detect. Hope there isn't too much honeysuckle/undergrowth.
Good eye on the design...it kind of does look like a piece of wrapped candy.

Upvote 1

I was thinking exactly the same thing before getting this far. :laughing7:

Upvote 1

That’s definitely not something I would have thought of but it does look like a piece of candy! It’s the right size for a lid as well. It’s been a great spot so far and hasn’t disappointed. But we’ll just say I can’t wait until the fall - tons of undergrowth, small trees. It’s dense, but so seems the debris field!

Upvote 1
Keep in mind that you can go back to the site time and again and try different coils, go different directions, different sweep speeds, etc. and continue to find stuff. Good luck!

Upvote 2
Keep in mind that you can go back to the site time and again and try different coils, go different directions, different sweep speeds, etc. and continue to find stuff. Good luck!
Thanks! I’m sure the best is yet to come, although the Barber Half that was about 50 yards down the road will be hard to beat.

Upvote 1
I second this wholeheartedly, because I'm doing it on my permission with encouraging results.

Mostly, I've done it (so far) by using different programs, different coils, and notching. I tend to do different directions as a matter of course with each variable.

Of course it depends on the site and what's down there! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
My feelings are that it has a more industrial application like a tub of grease. The way the lid attaches indicates it wasn't opened regularly. That lid only attaches to the rolled lip of a tin.

dz

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back