Copper Penny Blank?

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I was going through a box of my old finds, and I came across this blank copper disc. I don't remember where or when I found it, or if it was given to me by someone. I can only assume it is a penny blank, although I know nothing about error coins. I put it on the scale and it weighed in at 3 grams, the same as a Lincoln head. Seems to be very slightly smaller in diameter than a Lincoln as well. What do you all think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140324_180629.png
    ForumRunner_20140324_180629.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20140324_180639.png
    ForumRunner_20140324_180639.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 116
So I was going through a box of my old finds, and I came across this blank copper disc. I don't remember where or when I found it, or if it was given to me by someone. I can only assume it is a penny blank, although I know nothing about error coins. I put it on the scale and it weighed in at 3 grams, the same as a Lincoln head. Seems to be very slightly smaller in diameter than a Lincoln as well. What do you all think?

I found the same thing...blank penny. Same size as the 2005 penny I held it against..and thickness. Have had mine for quite awhile.

Upvote 0
there was a time when a penny had less than 1 cent worth of copper.not hard for a machinest to punch out blanks.the coin operated candy machines,gum etc.used size and weight to accept a coin.silly as it sounds the making of,"slugs"was actually a sort of hobby to some,beating the system etc.
It could well be one of those.I found a copper 1943 penny.bout flipped out.made an appointment with numismatist 80 miles away and was there next a.m.

I was surely a millionaire...not.It seema it was common at the time to counterfeit them.even ford motors offered to trade for a new car if you had one.The guy actually gave me $50.00 for it after proving beyond doubt to me it was faked....the best I have in my collection he said.

never underestimate some peoples efforts to game the system

cheers

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back