copper coin ??

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
All,

I was going through some of my finds and always wondered about this one. I am pretty sure I posted it years ago but maybe with the passing of time someone may have come across something like it or give a new perspective on the item.

It is round and heavy (coin weight) as a large cent and even sounds off like a copper coin when you place it on a desk or tabletop. That distinct COIN sound...you know what I mean. Anyway it looks as if it was hammered or something to make use of it for another application instead of currency. Looking at the photos I just took of it on the first photo I noticed that "arrow" looking mark on the right hand edge just a little above the center line. I don't recall noticing it before but looking through the items again made me see it now. Looking at it at different angles with a magnifying glass makes me wonder if it is just a mark in the metal and not a "mark"

DOes anyone have any idea on if it at one point was a coin and if so possibly which one?

Thanks in advance
Funkman

Attachments

• SANY0088.JPG
    SANY0088.JPG
    667 KB · Views: 111
  • SANY0089.JPG
    SANY0089.JPG
    662.6 KB · Views: 84
It could be a Native Copper Culture pendant. You may have something a heck of a lot older than you thought.

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply Backbacon. The site mostly had late 1800's to early 1900's in one particular area but I did find my oldest coin there which was an 1811 large cent. Pretty corroded but you can make out what it was and barely see the 1811 on it. I am hoping to break the colonial era mark and get something from the 1700's. Map I have has a house in the area in 1850 but have not found an earlier map of the area.

Upvote 0
I know its not as accurate as it should be but using a postage scale it shows up as 0.3 ounces while an 1828 large cent I have is 0.4 ounces.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• tackbutton.jpg
    tackbutton.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 68
  • tackbutton2.jpg
    tackbutton2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
thanks Bramblefind....it definitely looks like the one on the "bronze disk" post, almost exact. It looks big to be a nailhead but I don't know. If you look closely at the first picture you could see an almost perfectly round inner circle. Not sure if significant but any information helps identification.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back