Copper Coin or Token with Ship

Montey

Oct 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Wife found this copper coin or token at the site of the original Maryborough Township in Queensland Australia. The town was one of the largest immigration ports in Queensland at the time, so the piece could be from anywhere.

The coin/Token has a 3 mast ship on one side, which is visible in the picture.

On the other side it has the letters G K L at the top around the hole.

There is a rise in the middle, but I can not tell what the mark is.

There is also a 5 point star at the bottom of this side.

The coin is 2cm wide.

Any information would be great, thanks in advance.:hello2:

Front.jpgbak.jpg2 cm.jpg

Based on the "blob" in the center of the back, I would say this was a button that someone made into a pendant.

The ship is similar to the mid 20th C British Half-Penny.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
That's an odd size, and considering the corrosion in the middle, and what's probably the word "GILT" on the back, I think you have a button... but that's a bit more interesting than most ship coins/tokens, at least to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Based on the "blob" in the center of the back, I would say this was a button that someone made into a pendant.

The ship is similar to the mid 20th C British Half-Penny.

DCMatt

That's funny, I actually read your post and not a word sunk in because I didn't even realize I was basically saying the same thing.... So I guess you can call that a consensus, at least of two. I had to say that because it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when someone gives the right answer, and then the next guy says the same thing, as if he's finally there to save the day. :)

Upvote 0
That's funny, I actually read your post and not a word sunk in because I didn't even realize I was basically saying the same thing.... So I guess you can call that a consensus, at least of two. I had to say that because it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when someone gives the right answer, and then the next guy says the same thing, as if he's finally there to save the day. :)

:laughing7: me too!!I often dont read all the four pages of replies,so I apologize if I have done that to you.....I hate it,or when you positively ID something and the next guy keeps going with outlandish "could its"

Upvote 0
:laughing7: me too!!I often dont read all the four pages of replies,so I apologize if I have done that to you.....I hate it,or when you positively ID something and the next guy keeps going with outlandish "could its"

No, the times that irk me a little are the ones where there's very few replies and the person answering is someone that I didn't expect was going to know because the ID was kind of out of left field... or more obvious... wrong, not close, and they agree! So I kinda shake my head a little. It's not like it happens every day, or even every week, but after I posted reading the reply again it reminded me of times like that but as we both know it's easy to focus on the first post and not take on much while skimming through the rest.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input. It defiantly says GKL on the back, not GLIT. I must of looked at thousands of different buttons/tokens and coins to try and match it. Perhaps I will never know.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old post but it adds to the story - I've been trying to find the origin of a medal with a boat on one side and GKL with a star on the other side as well. 22mm diameter and I think the ''blob' is possibly a dogs head. Perhaps it is associated, perhaps not.

IMG_1088.JPGIMG_1087.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great ID that's really cool looking good find!!!

Upvote 0
I know this is an old post but it adds to the story - I've been trying to find the origin of a medal with a boat on one side and GKL with a star on the other side as well. 22mm diameter and I think the ''blob' is possibly a dogs head. Perhaps it is associated, perhaps not.

View attachment 1665667View attachment 1665668

I still think it's a button. The stippled background reminds me of early/mid 20th C picture buttons.

il_570xN.1495554802_cxxs.jpg

It's a long shot but G K L could be early work from Gertrude K. Lathrop.

Upvote 0
Tommy
This post is from 2012 and the OP has only posted TWICE!
So you are a little late for the welcome.

Harry
I think these are buttons missing their shanks and re-purposed.
Probably wrong, but I still think they are cool and I would love to find them.

DCMatt
I see you also thought it was a button way back in 2012.
Then or now I think you are right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back