Copper Coin ID Please

BerntOut

Jan 12, 2010
South West USA
Detector(s) used
Deus, BlissTool V3, CTX, Vallon VCM1, ......forgot the others!
A buddy dug this coin yesterday and I liked it so much he gave it to me. I found and Irish half penny about 5' from where he dug this coin, both under a large old tree. I have been unable to ID it. I bet one of you here can ID this for us all.

Attachments

• 031810 034.jpg
    031810 034.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 451
  • 031810 035.jpg
    031810 035.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 436
I think you have a modern fantasy rarity of sorts. I ran a search "raven coin" & arrived at Shire Post Mint. Tom Maringer, the guy who minted your coin rather recently modeled it after something found in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Quoting Mr. Maringer " In case you're wondering what the runes say... it is ROAC CARCSSON FA4. Which commemorates the King of Ravens Roac Son of Carc in a coin issued by Bard The Dragonslayer in the fourth year of the fourth age of Middle Earth. The coin is small... about dime-size in diameter but thicker... weighing about 5-grams of sterling silver. I call it a Raven Disme of New Dale. Striking force to make a coin of this size is about 30 to 40 tons."

I gather that he has discontinued making & selling Tolkien inspired coins because as he states on his website, quote "Due to legal action by attorneys claiming to represent Saul Zaentz Corporation, (doing business as Tolkien Enterprises), Shire Post has been forced to remove all references to the works of professor Tolkien from this website. Our online store will be shutting down completely as of the end of August 2007. The website will remain in place, but will no longer have any connection to the works of the professor."

I''ve provided three links below:

http://www.shirepost.com/

Scroll way down on this one.

http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1458&page=2

And this from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Co...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d283224b8

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Montauk said:
I think you have a modern fantasy rarity of sorts. I ran a search "raven coin" & arrived at Shire Post Mint. Tom Maringer, the guy who minted your coin rather recently modeled it after something found in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Quoting Mr. Maringer " In case you're wondering what the runes say... it is ROAC CARCSSON FA4. Which commemorates the King of Ravens Roac Son of Carc in a coin issued by Bard The Dragonslayer in the fourth year of the fourth age of Middle Earth. The coin is small... about dime-size in diameter but thicker... weighing about 5-grams of sterling silver. I call it a Raven Disme of New Dale. Striking force to make a coin of this size is about 30 to 40 tons."

I gather that he has discontinued making & selling Tolkien inspired coins because as he states on his website, quote "Due to legal action by attorneys claiming to represent Saul Zaentz Corporation, (doing business as Tolkien Enterprises), Shire Post has been forced to remove all references to the works of professor Tolkien from this website. Our online store will be shutting down completely as of the end of August 2007. The website will remain in place, but will no longer have any connection to the works of the professor."

I''ve provided three links below:
Wow thats an amazing ID Montauk. You are showing us all how it is done. :notworthy:

I thought the writing was fantasy. Im just posting your eBay pic here for the record.

Attachments

• fantasy coin.jpg
    fantasy coin.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0
I bet this other fantasy coin in the Lord of the Rings set will cause a heart to skip a beat. The tree resembles a colonial coin.
fantasy coin tree.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks Mantauk! MOST EXCELLENT RESEARCH! I failed to find it on the internet and you did! WTG!
I learned something about fantasy coins I never new existed. I knew that coins was something special. I only wish it were Sterling!
Thank you again. I love this forum.

Upvote 0
That is cool! Too bad it isn't the silver version of the coin. Still I'm glad that you like the coin Bernt. It will look good in your collection!

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I bet this other fantasy coin in the Lord of the Rings set will cause a heart to skip a beat. The tree resembles a colonial coin.

If I ever dig that coin heads will roll. That would be the ultimate "FOOLED YOU!" I might have to buy one and prank someone with it. My god that thing looks so much like the real deal.
Still Waters

Upvote 0
My god that thing looks so much like the real deal.
Still Waters
[/quote]

It IS THE REAL THING! It is a REAL Fantasy coin! LOL!

Upvote 0
Still Waters said:
bigcypresshunter said:

If I ever dig that coin heads will roll. That would be the ultimate "FOOLED YOU!" I might have to buy one and prank someone with it. My god that thing looks so much like the real deal.
Still Waters
BerntOut said:
My god that thing looks so much like the real deal.
Still Waters

It IS THE REAL THING! It is a REAL Fantasy coin! LOL!
It resembles the Pine Tree Shilling at first glance..

Attachments

• pine tree schilling token 1930.jpg
    pine tree schilling token 1930.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back