Cool find in a box of cents(possible store token)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Found this while going through a box of cents today. Is this a store token? Front simple says Liberty Bell and 1776-1876 under the bell. The reverse has WM Sedgwick along the top. Under that is Watchmaker. The 3rd line reads Waverly NY. The bottom reads Look Well To Your Time. Pulled quite a few older wheats from this batch including a well worn 29-S. Still have most of the box to go through yet. Thanks for reading. HH-MM2

Attachments

• DSCN4614.JPG
    DSCN4614.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 284
  • DSCN4615.JPG
    DSCN4615.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 267
Upvote 0
This Token, Miller Lists It As An 1067a. It was struck for William Sedwick, watchmaker, in Waverly, New York. This is part of the Centennial series and was issued in 1876. The Liberty Bell is on the reverse (narrative from a google search)

This Token, Miller Lists It As An 1067a. It was struck for William Sedwick, watchmaker, in Waverly, New York. This is part of the Centennial series and was issued in 1876. The Liberty Bell is on the reverse (narrative from a google search)
Thanks Don. Any idea on mintages?

Rulau's United States Tokens book says "These are the easiest to obtain of the 19mm tokens in the Centennial series, though all 19mm pieces are difficult in relation to the 23mm tokens." That doesn't shed much light on the subject unless one is familiar with the various tokens struck in 1876. There are several varieties and I can't tell from his description which yours is. It appears to be copper, so the "valuation" of those two varieties is $15 or $17.50 in Extra Fine condition. eBay 360581351053 just sold last week for $22.50 plus postage. As far as mintage is concerned, I would bet that there were less than 10,000 of them struck - compare that to the rarest Lincoln cent: 484,000 for the 1909-SVDB.
John in the Great 208

You find the neatest stuff MM2!

Cool token, and in nice condition too. Nice find MM2. :icon_thumleft:

Rulau's United States Tokens book says "These are the easiest to obtain of the 19mm tokens in the Centennial series, though all 19mm pieces are difficult in relation to the 23mm tokens." That doesn't shed much light on the subject unless one is familiar with the various tokens struck in 1876. There are several varieties and I can't tell from his description which yours is. It appears to be copper, so the "valuation" of those two varieties is $15 or $17.50 in Extra Fine condition. eBay 360581351053 just sold last week for $22.50 plus postage. As far as mintage is concerned, I would bet that there were less than 10,000 of them struck - compare that to the rarest Lincoln cent: 484,000 for the 1909-SVDB.
John in the Great 208
Thanks for the information Idahotoken. That would make it my rarest CRHing find. Thanks for the comments everyone. Never know what's going to show up in a roll.

Hi Mountainman2,
Very Very interesting find. Congrats!
Hope you are well,
rileyboy and "Riley"

Thanks Rileyboy and Fistfulladirt. Went through the rest of that box. The good finds seemed to be concentrated in about 10 rolls, the rest of the box didn't produce much.

Great find MM! You are hitting out of the park with your cent finds!

By the way, what are you doing with that 1955DD?

MU

Great find MM! You are hitting out of the park with your cent finds!

By the way, what are you doing with that 1955DD?

MU
I'm going to hold onto it, at least for awhile. I can't find this token. I hope it's just misplaced and didn't fall out of my pocket. I put it in a holder. Hope it didn't fall out of my pocket while i was fishing for my keys or wallet. For now, it's just misplaced.

Nice token Great find MM hope you find your wallet
Good to hear from you George. I have my wallet. I misplaced the token. Just careless, too much of a hurry.

Hey MM2, I hope you're able to find the token, it is sure a nice token, i would take that over an Indian head cent any day of the week!
Thanks for sharing,
Buff

Sorry i brought this old post back up to the top again. I thought i had lost this token but just found it stuffed between my carseat and seatbelt. It's now in a safe place.
If anyone hasn't already, check out Phatty's awesome dime score. Amazing!!

Sorry i brought this old post back up to the top again. I thought i had lost this token but just found it stuffed between my carseat and seatbelt. It's now in a safe place.
If anyone hasn't already, check out Phatty's awesome dime score. Amazing!!

I'm glad you did bring up the post as I missed it the first time. Very nice find (even the second time). And yes, Phatty did indeed Strike It Rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back