Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-760845590.jpg

So I've been putting in some serious hours this weekend without much to show for my efforts, till this morning :) I was out detecting on the beach till last night till 2am, found 2 10c a 5c piece and an old dog choker chain. I was cleaning up my gear this morning and decided to do a bit of a test with some rings etc to get an idea what depths I'm working with, anyway my testing got a little carried away and I found myself detecting the back yard (can't help myself). Found a beat up 2 dollar coin a couple of 303 projectiles and then what I found next blew me away! Dog tag!

During ww2 there were camps all around the place here and apparently there must have been one in my own backyard ;)

It sends chills up my spine to think about what the fate of the soldier who once wore this tag. I guess I've got some research to do now.

The tag reads: BYARS. JAMES. P
34577688T43
ALICE BYARS
307 1ST AVE
ROME, GA.

Would be happy to return to owner or family.

LEST WE FORGET.

image-3439679636.jpg

Upvote 3
Hey, I only live about 30 minutes from Rome GA, my wife works there. Let us do some checking and I'll see what I can turn up on that name for you.

Hey, I only live about 30 minutes from Rome GA, my wife works there. Let us do some checking and I'll see what I can turn up on that name for you.

That would be great, keep us posted on how you go.

Oh, for a little further information, that tag looked a little odd so talked to my FiL who states pretty emphatically that that's not an official DoD issued tag, confirming what was bugging me about it. It's likely to be a personal tag that the owner had made, as no US tags had personal information like the next of kin and home address on them. But since it still has the official service number as well as address we still have lots of information to work with to find his family.

Oh, for a little further information, that tag looked a little odd so talked to my FiL who states pretty emphatically that that's not an official DoD issued tag, confirming what was bugging me about it. It's likely to be a personal tag that the owner had made, as no US tags had personal information like the next of kin and home address on them. But since it still has the official service number as well as address we still have lots of information to work with to find his family.

Ok thanks for your help, I don't know much about these tags so I appreciate any info. Might have another go this afternoon to see if I can find anything else.

Thanks for you help, I am fairly new to the hobby, well I've done a little over the years but I've just really got into it, so I appreciate any info.

*Oops doubled up there.

Ok just done a search on the inter web and I found this

image-3501850683.jpg

image-2219748968.jpg

So I guess it's DOD issue ?

Ok just done a search on the inter web and I found this

View attachment 985104
View attachment 985108

So I guess it's DOD issue ?

Not with personal information on it. Blood type, religious affiliation, name & rank, serial# are about all that you'll find on a DoD-issued dogtag. Personal information in the event a soldier is captured would give an enemy a hook into them and their family.

On the search note, that address is now a social services organization for abused children and family support. But there are a couple of Byars still in Rome, and we have the info that Plumbata found for someone in SC by that name who is also about the right age for WWII service.

Last edited:
WW2 type 1 and 2 US Army issue dog tags had the next of kin information on them. The DOD stopped the practice with the type 3 and 4 during the second half of the war. Hope this helps, Sub 8-)

WW2 Dog Tag Format | Army Dog Tag Format

WW2 type 1 and 2 US Army issue dog tags had the next of kin information on them. The DOD stopped the practice with the type 3 and 4 during the second half of the war. Hope this helps, Sub 8-)

WW2 Dog Tag Format | Army Dog Tag Format

Okay, I'd never heard or seen that before, and I would guess my FiL's dad had the type 3 or 4, as that was what he was referring back to. Thanks much for the info, it's appreciated.

Thanks for the info guys, I suppose I should try contact the gentleman in SC to find out.. Do you think I should call or write a letter? Ive never done this type of thing before.

Thanks for the info guys, I suppose I should try contact the gentleman in SC to find out.. Do you think I should call or write a letter? Ive never done this type of thing before.

Probably call. I'm still working this on the Rome GA end, trying to find some family members who still live in the area. I've eliminated a lot of possibilities, but there are some Byars I haven't been able to touch base with yet. Haven't given up yet though.

Probably call. I'm still working this on the Rome GA end, trying to find some family members who still live in the area. I've eliminated a lot of possibilities, but there are some Byars I haven't been able to touch base with yet. Haven't given up yet though.

Thanks buddy, I'm still looking too. Keep in touch

Im interested in what you all find out, as I found a dog tag this past Saturday eve. and I contacted the American Legion and since I live in a small town, the guy I spoke to knows a possible family member of the owner of the tag who possibly served in Korea. Unfortunately, through research i believe he has since passed, but I am using the Legion hall make contact with the family and I am excited about giving it to them.
Good luck with your own research!

Hope this helps....

Looks like Mr. Byars died in 1932:

(From "findagrave.com")
Birth: Dec. 23, 1863
Death: Mar. 23, 1932
trans.gif

Family links:
Spouse:
Mary Alice Wimpee Byars (1865 - 1932)

Children:
Clyde P. Byars (1892 - 1919)*
Lucy Byars Gray (1898 - 1972)*
Maymie Alice Byars (1901 - 1980)*

*Calculated relationship
Burial:
Myrtle Hill Cemetery
Rome
Floyd County
Georgia, USA
Plot: Section FT: Lot 47

I also found him in the 1920 and 1930 census that list him in Rome, Ga and Alice as his spouce. The census also lists more children than findagrave, I can post them if you are interested in trying to find a living relative.

Nice work RyanRex. Well does that mean it's from ww1? If he died in 1932, that is before the second ww started... Any info would be great, as I would be happy to see it returned to his family. It's a nice little find to me but I'm sure it would mean alot more than that to his family. I really appreciate all the help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back